Help, Guppies Dying

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Darkomot

Reaction score
Hello, I have had this 10 gallon tank for about 9 months now, and in the past few weeks, I have lost a higher than normal number of guppies. I have tested the water several times and have 0ppm of ammonia, nitrite, and ~20 ppm of nitrates. I have lost around 3 or 4 in the past two weeks and none of them had the normal symptoms that I would check for (nothing in outward appearance other than off swimming, they were not skinnier than normal nor bloated and they did not have any skin or fin issues). Today, another female guppy seems near the point and this is how she is swimming and looks. Thoughts? Thanks much. I don't have a ton of experience diagnosing problems, and I dosed the tank with API general cure after the second guppy died.

fish3.gif

Attachments

• IMG_20210409_151037.jpg
    IMG_20210409_151037.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20210409_151056.jpg
    IMG_20210409_151056.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20210409_151051.jpg
    IMG_20210409_151051.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 91
She seems to have little control over how she is swimming, maybe it could be swim bladder? A cooked, deshelled pea if she is able to get ahold of it and eat it may help her to poop.

How much and how often do you feed your fish? Overfeeding can sometimes lead to constipation in fish.

She seems to have little control over how she is swimming, maybe it could be swim bladder? A cooked, deshelled pea if she is able to get ahold of it and eat it may help her to poop.

How much and how often do you feed your fish? Overfeeding can sometimes lead to constipation in fish.
I feed once a day these days, but I think that I might feed too much to them...could that cause this problem?

I feed once a day these days, but I think that I might feed too much to them...could that cause this problem?
It could be. Not to sound like the instructions on the box, but do try to feed them only as much as they can eat within a few minutes. It can be fun to feed fish so sometimes we tend to overdo it, just try and be less generous with how much you give them. Once a day is good though and that's what you are doing.

I want pictures and video of all the fish and the tank?

It has nothing to do with food.

The flared gills and fish having a fit, would suggest something in the water is poisoning them. This could be ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, or a chemical or something that got into the tank from your hands or fish buckets, cleaning equipment, etc.

----------------------
What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What sort of filter is on/ in the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Do you have buckets specifically for the fish tank?
Have you treated the fish with anything?
Do you add any chemicals, fertilisers or anything else to the tank?

Does anyone smoke, paint, use hair spray, perfume, deodorant, or use anything that releases smoke or fumes in the room?

Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back