HELP! Gourami is clamping one of his feelers!!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, my honey gourami has suddenly started clamping one of his feelers. He was fine this morning, but tonight, when I went to feed my fish, I saw that he was only using one of his feelers and was keeping the other one tucked at his side. He is still very active, and he ate very well.
I tested my water to see if maybe I had an issue with the parameters. My ammonia is 0.25ppm (but it has been like that for several months now. Don't know why.), my nitrites are 0ppm, and my nitrates are only just above 0ppm. The only thing that is a little off is my PH which, for some reason, is at about 8.0ppm. I can't really be sure about this number because the water turned a color that isn't actually on the scale. It was closest to 8.0ppm though, so I assume it's somewhere around that.
All the other fish in the tank seem fine. Could my gourami's problem come from the PH, or is there something else wrong?

any ammonia will be very toxic in water with a pH above 7.0. The higher the pH, the more toxic the ammonia becomes.

have you tested the tap water for ammonia?

take a sample of tank water to the local pet shop and get them to test the ammonia. Take your own test kit and test the same sample of water at the same time. If you get a different reading to the pet shop, then one of the test kits is faulty.

Thank you for your reply! So, I went to feed my fish this morning, and he was using both feelers again! I don't get it. Why would he clamp one feeler one day, and then use both again the next day? Anyway, I'm still going to change the water. Do you have any ideas as to why my PH is suddenly so high? Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back