Help! Fish stuck!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PygmyMitch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My otto is stuck in my filter. the part where the cable is supposed to sit. I only noticed it as i took my filter out the tank to clean the sponges. I tried to get it him/her out but its body is a bit to big. So i have put the filter back in the water to see if it comes out on its own. he/she didn’t so i tried to help it again but obviously, being scared it has moved his head up and now it seems to be stuck in the position he is in. I don’t know what to do

Attachments

• 04B6FC76-C07E-42CA-9BBB-93CA3BC6600D.jpeg
    04B6FC76-C07E-42CA-9BBB-93CA3BC6600D.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 46
Leave it there for a while. He got in, he should be able to get out. That's all you can do. Don't push or pull it. Once it relaxes it should be able to release itself.

Is there any way to remove the filter from the tank, place it in a bucket of tank water, and pry the opening a bit wider?

Does that part of the filter come apart, by any chance?

I could try that, but there isn’t any room for me to get anything in to pry the filter open

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 30
no thats just an air bubble. Its a fluval U1 filter. and im not sure if i can dismantle it anymore. Unless the black part comes away from the blue part. but even so, i don’t know if that would help

Thanks for the help. I did try and use some pliers to pry it open but unfortunately it didn’t work. The plastic on the filter just wasn’t opening at all. So I put the filter back in the tank and left him for a while to give him another chance to try and come out. When I came back to check on him, I noticed his mouth was no longer moving and neither was his tail 😞

Wow, no one can say you didn't try your best. It was most kind and compassionate of you to care for that fish. So, moving forward, are there lessons learned that can be shared with other forum members to help them avoid a similar situation? You mentioned the power cord. You might also contact the manufacturer and let them know about your unfortunate experience. I used to work in the 'pet industry' and user (customer) feedback is seriously taken. Sometimes, it is the only way they really know how well a product performs.

Sorry that I seem too late on this but I would have used a pair of dykes (wire cutters) to cut out one of the baffles that were trapping the fish to release then use aquatic silicone or super glue to re-attach the baffle.

To prevent a future occurrence attach some sponge media over the baffles.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back