Help!!! Big mistake with moss ball

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

KKat1997

Reaction score
Hey allā€¦ so I made a dumb dumb noob mistakeā€¦ I had a miromo moss ball and I put it in my planted aquariumā€¦ well it broke.. and it spread BAD! It covers everything! And sucking nutrients from my other plants! How do I get rid of this pesky algae? I ordered new substrate to start completely over! But Iā€™m afraid since itā€™s on my plants will it spread to my ā€˜fresh startā€™ and itā€™d in my filter media! Will I have to recycle my tank?! I feel so dumb!!! I have very unique angelfish that I do not want to hurt in this process

That doesn't sound like Marino moss balls. It could be another algae. Could you post a photograph please?

Attachments

• 6952FA95-BBD1-4ABE-AF7C-32A92A662D22.jpeg
    6952FA95-BBD1-4ABE-AF7C-32A92A662D22.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 85
It looks like hair algae. It's a real nuisance as it entwines other plants and just one strand will infest a tank. Remove as much as you can each week. Some people use a toothbrush to twist it out. Once the tank is in balance (lights and nutrients), it will stop spreading.

It looks like hair algae. It's a real nuisance as it entwines other plants and just one strand will infest a tank. Remove as much as you can each week. Some people use a toothbrush to twist it out. Once the tank is in balance (lights and nutrients), it will stop spreading.
Thank you! And a toothbrush will help tremendously!!! Never thought of using a toothbrush

Yeh that's not your moss ball. How long are your lights on for?

Hey all, so originally I thought this was from my marimo moss ball, but Iā€™ve been told itā€™s a few different algaes? What kind of algae is this? Itā€™s very course to touchā€¦ very contagious, grows on EVERYTHING and will cover the floor on my gravel
65E4059F-F496-4DF9-8D11-E87906EC51AF.jpeg
6D49CBFF-1415-4DBD-9BAB-34BA8939994E.jpeg

I definitely agree with the above... Looks like some form of hair algae

I definitely agree with the above... Looks like some form of hair algae
I've never had it that bad but it looks very much like hair algae to me.
I had it cover all my bogwood and plants with streaming threads flowing around from where it anchored.
I could never get rid of it except for a total empty and bleach clean. I have been lucky since than as I have a new filter with a UV light that seems to help, and have also added a Seachem soil substrate that gives the plants plenty of growth. Can't have too many plants in my opinion

I've never had it that bad but it looks very much like hair algae to me.
I had it cover all my bogwood and plants with streaming threads flowing around from where it anchored.
I could never get rid of it except for a total empty and bleach clean. I have been lucky since than as I have a new filter with a UV light that seems to help, and have also added a Seachem soil substrate that gives the plants plenty of growth. Can't have too many plants in my opinion
What gets me is itā€™s very course to touch, no slime. And it doesnā€™t flow with my airflow.. itā€™s like a sponge ā˜¹ļø Peroxide Method didnā€™t faze it.. and I put seacum excel in because Iā€™ve heard itā€™ll effect algae and nothing šŸ˜¬

I had a Marino moss balls in my tanks and where the one moss ball was I started getting that hair algae too, it was only on the driftwood that the moss ball was next to.

I have since taken moss balls out of that tank. It reminds me of black beard algae in that there are tufts of it on the driftwood. That's the only place so far.

The driftwood is in what is now my invert tank, I have snails and shrimp in there. I've tried taking the driftwood out and brushing it but you can't really see the algae unless it's in the water.

I wonder if fake moss balls are being made with hair algae. It's definitely growing on the driftwood. I'm not sure to what extent I should go to to get rid of it, the shrimp seem to like it.

I had a Marino moss balls in my tanks and where the one moss ball was I started getting that hair algae too, it was only on the driftwood that the moss ball was next to.

I have since taken moss balls out of that tank. It reminds me of black beard algae in that there are tufts of it on the driftwood. That's the only place so far.

The driftwood is in what is now my invert tank, I have snails and shrimp in there. I've tried taking the driftwood out and brushing it but you can't really see the algae unless it's in the water.

I wonder if fake moss balls are being made with hair algae. It's definitely growing on the driftwood. I'm not sure to what extent I should go to to get rid of it, the shrimp seem to like it.
Okay I can relate to this so much! Because this is exactly what happened to meā€¦ my moss ball broke apart, and particles floated everywhere!!! And attached to everything and grew like crazy!!! But you may have a good point there about ā€˜fake moss ballsā€™ but whatever it is itā€™s hardy and hard to rid of! The texture is so so course too, and not slimy! I put shrimp in there and they loved it as a ā€˜homeā€™ but my ramshorn snails, and 2 different algae eaters never touched itā€¦ my fish would nibble on it..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back