Help Asap Pls - All My Guppies Keep Dying :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snoozysusie

Reaction score
Hi - HELP NEEDED ASAP PLEASE...!!
I have a 12gallon tank with (had approx 10 guppies in) been setup about 5yrs, no problems and all well. They've all been breeding in the past, and all seemed fine. After returning from a weekend away; I found around 12 baby guppy fry in tank (hooray!!) HOWEVER.. day after day, I was finding adult guppies dead in the tank. Initially I put it down to it being the females dying , assuming it was stress of the pregnancy etc. Bought a breeding trap for the fry to try and keep a few if poss, and got brine shrimp as well as flakes for adults as read it was good for iron levels etc after pregancy ?
Still - all the fishes are dying - at least 1 a day. ALL fry are now dead. Only ONE guppy remains. VERY sad.
All equipment is functioning ok , temp is: 24degrees. Have large airstone, filter with 'sponge' inside (always cleaned with separate water from tank never tap water, as made that fatal mistake about 10yrs ago and wondered why they were all dying then ..!)

I asked in my local petshop about 2wks ago and they checked my water, they said there wasnt any probs there.
My PH seems quite high (?) , -
My readings from kit are:
Ammonia 0.25 , so perhaps a v slight trace
PH: 7.6 so I did the 'high range pH test' which came back about 7.8 - is this ok ??
Nitrite : 0

Do you want any more test results from me??
I'm running out of ideas , patience , money and enthusiam now ... Such a shame. LOVED having these in past (many years) and have no idea what's happening. Scooping the last of the fry (and another adult) out of the tank just now is really getting bad :( Pls help... thanks in advance x

Sorry, don't know what is wrong, but feel bad that no one is helping you, do at least a 1/4 water change. always helps whatever ails mine, then someone please help her
hugs carol

As you have a reading for ammonia, something is wrong with your filtration somwhere.

It can happen, especially with guppies, that you don't realise how much the bioload on your filter is increasing with each new generation, until the bacterial colony gets overwhelmed and collapses.

Do some large (50 or 50% at least) water changes, check that your filter isn't blocked and consider thinning out your stocking, or upgrading your tank or adding another filter.

Best of luck!

(and thanks for bumping the thread, veeja; we sometimes miss one or two; we do get an awful lot of help requests around here...)

Thanks for the pointers... but unfortunately they've come a bit late as all the guppies have now died :( Only the plec remains.
Not sure whether to just sell up the whole lot and admit defeat. Very disapointed. Might do a huge water change (the plec obv seems v resistant to whatever the prob was!) and possibly try again (for the last time, deffo) with guppies again. Was also thinking of taking plec to LFS and having a complete change and converting to saltwater. Any thoughts? Thanks again ...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back