Help! Angel Fish Attacking Dwarf Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MyFishKaren

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank. I just had a Platy die so I replaced it with a Dwarf Gourami because the manager at petsmart said the Gourami would be paired well with my two Angel Fish.

I got my Gourami, did a water change an hour or so after, and have been watching them since. My bigger Angel, Karen, won't stop picking on my Gourami! How do I stop this? Is it just from stress? Should I get a different fish?

My gourami keeps trying to hide from my Angel, and I know this won't be a permanent solution.

Are your angels a mating pair? They are protecting their territory. I would take the new guy back as a bad fit.

You received very bad advice from the store. A lesson we all have learned...never trust what a store employee tells you unless you know they are a hobbyist with experience and knowledge, or you check it out with places like this forum or Seriously Fish before purchasing (or not as the case may be).

Cichlids (angelfish) and gourami should not be combined in the same tank, generally speaking. Males of both are very territorial. I would remove the gourami quickly before the harassment stresses it out beyond recovery.

As for other fish, what do you have in this tank now (species, numbers)? There is a problem with the angelfish...it is too large for a 20 gallon, so unless you have a much larger tank waiting, I would see if you can return the two of them. They may soon start squabbling too, depending upon their gender and temperament. At six inches body length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches, it needs a lot of space.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back