Hello! New To Tff

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bonovox

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums and new to the hobby. I've recently started a new tank, 6 days now, and appear to be having problems. I have started a fish-in cycle (I wasn't even aware of the fishless cycle until I stumbled upon the website the other day).

I took all precautionary measures prior to getting the fish, washed out aquarium, washed all plants (sythentic) and other decor before filling the tank with water. Let the tank run for 48 hours before getting fish. Took a water sample to the local pet store, it was tested and I was told it was A-okay to proceed with the fish-in cycle. The tank is about 54 gallons so we were told we could do more than the 3-4 fish startup, we purchased 3 danio zebras and 3 black skirt tetras. Put the fish in water and the next morning 2 of the tetras had died, I felt horrible and didn't understand how this happened. Took the fish back and another water sample and was told that my PH levels were very high and that I shouldn't have anymore fish until this problem was solved. The 3 zebras appear to be totally fine and the last tetra has been hiding every since that night.

I purchased a test strip set to monitor the water and it appears that my PH, KH and GH levels are high. I bought some PH balance and it worked one day but has reverted back to it's old level now. Nitrite and Nitrate levels are very low and have not changed since I started testing the water myself.  I've done one water change, about 20%, and am about to do another one. I've used a water conditioner from the beginning and have since started using a bacteria supplement with water changes. Water has been cloudy since day 1, not too bad but noticeable.

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do next. I'm in desperate need of help so I can get this done properly.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hiya
what are the results from the test strip p.h etc etc. Are u testing for ammonia too?
Daily water changes are a must, take a look in the emergency section of this forum you will find a lot of people have a similar experience and maybe you could get some tips from there too.
Get ur results and the guys on here can take it from there

Deja-vu - I coulda sworn I answered this question before......

(Seriously, double posting, not a good thing to do on a forum.)

My apologies. I've tried to remove this post but can't seem to find a remove option.

Most reactions

Back