Hello, Need Advice (quiet Urgent)

not so good news today :( i've just noticed that one of the gouramis fins (side of it's body, i don't know the proper name for it) has split twice (as far as i can tell down to where it meets the body) what the heck could have happened? it doesn't look like any kind of disease i've seen mentioned here and i'm pretty sure it wasn't split when i put him/her/it back in to the tank yesterday after i changed to sand. it doesn't seem to be having any trouble moving around the tank and it's finding food, will this just heal? is it 'natural' for this kind of thing to happen? help :(

If the gouramis were having a bit of a go at each other, it could have got split then. Or if the bala nipped them.
I keep getting that problem with my veiltail angelfish that the loach (of all things :rolleyes:) nips them and makes them split.

If the gouramis were having a bit of a go at each other, it could have got split then. Or if the bala nipped them.
I keep getting that problem with my veiltail angelfish that the loach (of all things :rolleyes:) nips them and makes them split.

the gouramis do fight a bit but the bala just follows the around the tank (thinks he's another gourami), i guess they're play fighting went a bit to far this time?

cool, good to know :) , thanks guys, was mortified when i noticed this morning but i'll sleep a little better now.

been told that i'm not to rehome the gouramis, my mum says that's what they've known all their life, a link to the previous owner bla bla bla, she's normally not like that when it comes to animals, normally it's whats best for them that comes first so it's quite odd for her to have taken this stance, so both the fish and I will have to live with it. i also haven't looked in to rehoming the bala (shame on me this time) apparently i am allowed to rehome that one as the previous owner never got the chance to 'bond' with it (how you bond with a fish is beyond me, it's hardly a cat or even a hamster! :p) but it's something i will look at when i've got the chance (been working loads of overtime, got some time off coming up so i may do it then).

i changed to sand in preparation for corys and corys is what i got, again, shame on me, i bought 3 (potentially) C. Julii at £4 each from the local fish shop (knowledgeable, informative, good tank condition, asked the right questions) all 3 seem happy as larry on day 3, i was awake early this morning and was able to catch the mad little critters doing a dance around the tank and generally getting under the 'feet' of the gargantuan (in comparison) bala and gouramis. 2 seem to like to chill out together whilst the third is a master of hide and seek, although they often follow each others tails.

once the bala is re homed (potentially by the end of next month) i'll get another 3 corys (probably the same type) as i know the like to be in biggish groups.

then it's just a waiting game with the pink gourami -_- but eventually i'd replace the 2 pinks with 2 pearls and get two shoals (or schools (or what ever the appropriate word is) of rummy nose and cardinals, i decided against neons as i've read that cardinals are a bit more hardy and they look similar enough.

goal on payday is to get some bog wood for the tank and a small quarantine tank!

here's some pics of the tank and the inmates (the big ones that is (the small ones are hiding behind one of the corner plants))

DSC_0465.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0467.jpg

hope the pics aren't to big or anything :/

bit of a bump.

i re-homed the bala today, took him up to the local maidenhead aquatics, it's a lovely shop, all the fish seem to be happy as can be expected, it has a number of large tanks that it keeps the bigger stuff in and i've yet to see any dead fish. anyway, he went happily in to one of these giant tanks and within an hour looked like his normal self, hopefully he'll go to someone with better conditions.

i took home 3 more corys (bronze), a dozen or so harlequin rasboras and 2 zebra loaches, hopefully they'll all get along with the current inmates :blush: :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back