Hello, I'm Zen.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZenHeathen

Reaction score
Hello, fish-adjacent people!

I'm ZenHeathen, and I'm new to this site, fairly new to the hobby (as of the start of 2020). I guess I've had tanks running for under a year now, though I had a simplistic tank (no heat, no filter, no light) once a few years back. But now I'm suddenly up to four active tanks at a total of 45.5 gallons! Somebody stop me!

I only do freshwater, though not just fish--I like shrimp, too, though so far I only keep ghost shrimp as cleanup crew in tanks of other livestock, no dedicated shrimp tank. I like simple, so I mostly keep fish that'll be fine at room temperature. I'm getting into planted tanks, and have been having a fantastic time learning more.

By way of a conversation starter, here's a question: I have a tank that could use some more help keeping algae at bay. Since I don't want to be doing water changes more than once a week, I've added a few nerite snails, a couple more ghost shrimp, and a couple oto catfish. They've been doing a great job gradually cleaning up the glass, but I still get gooey, stringy green algae growth. I've just added some live plants to the tank today (it has, until now, been just fake plants, save for a lovely bush of java moss). I want to put some pothos plant vines in, growing out of the corner of the tank to use up some more nutrients, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to put them there. I've hung two vines just kind of balanced there so far, but the best way to propagate a pothos (if you were doing it in the normal houseplant, or even hydroponic way) is to take a whole bunch of leaf cuttings and put them together into one pot.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to hang something like a small plant pot in the corner of my tank, securely. I can't just stick them in the filter, because I don't use a hang-on-back, it's a sponge filter. Some kind of clip, or bracket, or something, and it's got to be secure enough to hold a little pot (or *be* a little pot) that will have a bunch of pothos and aquarium gravel medium. I thought about using a hang-on-back breeding box, which might turn out to be the best option, but they want $20 for one, and that seems pricey for what I want to do. Maybe there's a DIY solution someone can recommend?

Anyway, if you read this far, thanks for your time.
-Zen

Hello, have you seen this?
If you follow the series he uses different plants. I'd imagine you could do something similar with pothos.

Last edited:
I have! That's what gave me the idea, really. And just moments before seeing your reply, I remembered this and realize that something lying across from front to back with holes through it for pots to hang in would be perfect. I've never found a good source of plexiglass, though. I've wanted some for a few different projects. If I used wood, some light into the tank would be blocked, and I'd have to treat the wood somehow to protect it against all the wetness...

Welcome, I stuck Pothos in my hob, but do you have a plastic lid that you could drill a hole in to stick the cuttings into?
D8B7B5D7-836B-4B51-AA08-C399817FD80A.png

I'm using a sponge filter, not a HOB, so no luck there.

A plastic lid? How would I use that for this?

Hello and welcome, there are clear plastic pots that have suction cups to attach to the side of the tank. ;)

I have! That's what gave me the idea, really. And just moments before seeing your reply, I remembered this and realize that something lying across from front to back with holes through it for pots to hang in would be perfect. I've never found a good source of plexiglass, though. I've wanted some for a few different projects. If I used wood, some light into the tank would be blocked, and I'd have to treat the wood somehow to protect it against all the wetness...
You can get something that they use for cheapo shed windows. I don't know what its called but I use it , cut to size, as tank lids. I'll send a pic tomorrow if you can't work out what it is .

This is the pot it is glass but I seen cheaper ones that are plastic

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 83
I'm using a sponge filter, not a HOB, so no luck there.

A plastic lid? How would I use that for this?
I said i grow them in my hob, BUT if you have a plastic lid you could drill a hole to stick the Pothos stems in to hold them in place.

CryptFan: OH! You mean if there's a plastic lid on my tank, I could put a hole through it. Yes, I see what you mean now. No, it's an open-topped tank at the moment.

Retired Viking: I've seen those. They're a little small for what I need. Plus, I think the suction cups aren't going to be enough. I want a small houseplant in there, in gravel. Though I do really like the look of those.

Munroco: Clear polycarbonate sheet is giving me some search results at the DIY store. Looks like I can get a sheet more than big enough for about $20. Now I'll need a thing for my drill for big holes, and I'm set. Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
CryptFan: Thanks, I might try those.
You could purchase a large piece of acrylic. Then you could cut it with a PLASTIC saw not a metal one if you wanted to cut it in half, or if you want holes in the middle you could use a diamond hole cutter. I didn’t have one of these but luckily one of my dads mates is a joiner so he hooked me up with everything I needed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back