🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

damienford

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
hi im damo,
i have 2 tanks 

my 1st is a 255lt 6ft x1ft x 1.5ft, its a tropical tank running at 27deg c
it has a 800lph external pump and 300w external heater
sand gravel and plant with a rocky section, heavly planted section and a carpeted sectionit has only been running for 2 months and we are slowly stocking to keep the peace the pleco and angles are from the old tank witch we have recycled to a platy tank
so it has
1 12" common pleco
2, pearl gouramis
3, 3 spot gouramis
2 angel fish
2 clown loach
2 penquin tetra
5 white cloud minows
3 red eye tetra

were looking to add 2 electric blue rams a male and a female,
 2 pseudotropheus/ acei's
 4 more angle fish
10 neon tetra
7 red eyes to round it up to 10
and a cupple of fire ring danios
then just some schooling fish to add depth

so my 1st qustion is would these fish go well with what is curantly in this tank?
what would u suggest to add ?
what plant would u recomment ?
and is the pump and heater powerful enough ?

the 2nd tank is a elite 65lt tank 23.5"x 11.5"x 15" and running at 28deg c

it has
1, 2.5" common pleco
11 platys
6 platy babys
20 assorted snails

my next question is, i have the platy babys in a breading box, when should i relece them in to the main tank there dob is 21/4/13

i also have 2 shubunkins( 6" and 8.5") , a black moor(3") and a fancy tailed goldfish(3") ( these are for sale atm )

is any one has any genral advice i would be more than welcome to listen :D

Hi welcome to the forum :)

It sounds like your still in the early stages of starting out :) The best thing to do right now is wait I think.

Your big tank sounds like it needs a bit of work to be honest - for all it is a long tank it is not very tall or wide. And you have some big growing fish in there - the plec and clown loaches will grow as long as the tank is wide. Realistically your tank is only capeable of the same stocking as a mid sized 4 foot tank. Which is really what you need to be thinking of when stocking it.

On the list of your fish to add - the pseudotropheus/ acei's are a bad idea they are african cichlids which are much more aggressive than the rest of the fish you keep they also have pretty specific water level needs - high ph and hard water. I would forget these.

With the Rams - they are quite delicate and often require a dedicated tank otherwise they become weak and fade away.

One other issue I see is the Gourami, Gourami rarely work in multiple species and when mixed with Angels they all want the upper levels as territory and as they grow and age they will cause issues with fighting etc.

Lastly a lot of the fish you have are schooling fish so you should really look at upping some schools.

I think perhaps it is best if you also rehome some fish.

For me this tank should be stocked like this

3 Pearl Gouramis (1male 2 female) OR  3, 3 Spot Gouramis (1male 2 female)  OR   4 angel fish (preferably 2 male 2 female but not always as easy)

10 penquin tetra  -  these can be quite a nippy tetra so it is best to keep them in a big school to stop them nipping the other fish.
8 white cloud minows
10 red eye tetra  - quite a boisterous tetra again best to keep them in higher numbers to keep them calm

10 Zebra Loachs or 10 Dwarf Chain Loaches - instead of the Clown Loaches - have a google for marge the clown loach to see just how big they can grow

You could also look at some smaller species of plecs like Bristlenoses or Clown Plecs or Leopard Frog Plecs etc loads of options that are quite easy to find these days. 

In the small tank I would move some of the larger platies into the main tank as this smaller tank will quickly become overstocked. Also with the young fry when they look to be the right size so that they can not be eaten by the larger fish they will be safe.

Wills

^+1

Where are the goldfish living? They aren't suitable for any of the tank mates (which is why you are selling, I assume). Your WCMs need to go to a different tank as well, as they are also cold water fish and are currently being kept in a warm tropical tank. You mention wanting to add danios, which prefer cooler tropical water. They would not work either.

Like Wills said, before you add anything else, consider your current stock and find homes for the unsuitable ones, as well as adding more to those who need large schools (like the tetras).

hi thanks for the replay,

ive been keeping fish all my life but never really any thing more advance than the odd tetra and clown loach  plecos and shrimp:) 
the 6ft tank is an upgrade after keeping most of them fish in the small 2 ft tank for the last 2 years,

i understand the african cichild would be a bad move
i was just told thay were the easyest to keep and very easy to mix with other amiracan cichlids like the angles tho after doing my own resurch and reading ur reply i completly agree with u

the 5 Gourami have all been living together for the last 18 months just fine and all shack up together, and have x-bread in the past ( my local fisherys were more than happy to take the surving fish off my hand when thay reached 8 weeks) thay like to defend there little rock area from are pleco (steve) witch is fine as he more intrested in his log and eating my hand (extreamly friendly)

we have clown loaches becouse of snail ishue ( had snails so got assissin snails then needed somthing to get rid of them and there mutlaplaying faster than we can get rid ) the angles are again friendly and for some reasion will only eat out of my hand

we have 2 unidentified loachs in the 6 ft tank, nasty things try running the tank but non of the fish let them the pleco has barbed them a few times getting them away from his hole, and ive had to remove the barbs and put them both in isolation tanks i have set up but there always fine and there to big and old to rehome

having had most of the fish in a small tank for so long and now being in a large tank with mutipul habitats thay all seam to enjoy each others company

as for them all shairing top space the angles like to stay by the spray bar and the Gourami like the inlet everry now and then swapping

as for the schooling fish, even in large groups thay never seamed to group together witch is a shame the newest aditions are the minows, not to sure about them tbh, was given them for free with a scrap tank were housed with the 2 moors and a teripin so there now alot happyer

i have 3 air lines in the tank 2 o2 and 1 co2 yet the fish seam to like the co2 more its in the dence planted area

we do seam to be growing the tank as the fish grow having only just set up a 7ft tank for my farthers 26" pleco i know what im in for with steve but his like a child of ares and has moods just like a teen tho is over all extremaly happy

as for the 2ft tank it has been recycled to house the gf's platy luv afair and is goin to be used to stock female fish, unfortunlty a male got in and we ended up with babys that we will be rehoming when thay are ready
as for the rams, i used to have a few an old tank but unfortunlty due to an incodent wilst moving none of them survived, thay were only a few weeks old and i enjoyed them greatly and was looking at getting some back due to there carm manner

the tank is tested on a weekly basis and a 15%-20% change is done with treated water,

hope this helps explain the set up a little more, im always looking at expanding and improving my knolage so is always nice to know how the fish should behave ( even if mine are just strange a bit like me tbh but there happyness is key )

many thanks

attibones said:
^+1

Where are the goldfish living? They aren't suitable for any of the tank mates (which is why you are selling, I assume). Your WCMs need to go to a different tank as well, as they are also cold water fish and are currently being kept in a warm tropical tank. You mention wanting to add danios, which prefer cooler tropical water. They would not work either.

Like Wills said, before you add anything else, consider your current stock and find homes for the unsuitable ones, as well as adding more to those who need large schools (like the tetras).
hi i have just sold them about ten mins ago, thay were in a tank i had built for some one but was far to small for them

not to sound to noobish are the wcms white cloud minnows ? if so i thort thay were warm water fish but as i said im still lurning im expanding my knowlage all the time

thanks XD

damienford said:

it has
1, 2.5" common pleco
11 platys
6 platy babys
20 assorted snails

my next question is, i have the platy babys in a breading box, when should i relece them in to the main tank there dob is 21/4/13

i also have 2 shubunkins( 6" and 8.5") , a black moor(3") and a fancy tailed goldfish(3") ( these are for sale atm )

is any one has any genral advice i would be more than welcome to listen
biggrin.png

That common plec might only be 2½" at the moment, but it wants grow 10 times that amount. If you have a read of the blue link in my signature, hopefully you'll understand why I think it's a bad idea to have one in a 65l tank.

11 adult platies is about your limit in the 65l, so I would recommend getting another tank to grow the fry on in. Theoretically, they can go in with the adults when they are big enough to not be eaten by them, so you're looking at around 2-3 months.

I leave my platy fry in with the parents and some do get eaten but the fastest and fittest survive by swimming fast and hiding well. They still get chased at 2-3 weeks but they are pretty adept by then at getting out of the way! I would say you can put them in at about a month since they won't be used to swimming fast and hiding if they've been separated from birth. The best way to work it out if they are ready to go back is if they are bigger than the adults' mouths.

Mamashack said:
I leave my platy fry in with the parents and some do get eaten but the fastest and fittest survive by swimming fast and hiding well. They still get chased at 2-3 weeks but they are pretty adept by then at getting out of the way! I would say you can put them in at about a month since they won't be used to swimming fast and hiding if they've been separated from birth. The best way to work it out if they are ready to go back is if they are bigger than the adults' mouths.
Thanks i do regret taking them out of the main tank and putting them in a breadi g box but the girlfriend wonted to save them all

There already about 1/3 inch to 1/2 inch long @ 6 days old faster than i thort thay would grow maybe im feeding them a bit to much
Any other tips on the fry ?

Not really they are programmed for survival I think. Mine only get a small pinch of ground-up pellets a day and have to forage in the plants and on the algae if they are still hungry. I usually get between 4 and 6 survivors with each birth (every 5 weeks in my tank!) and that's enough for a 60L tank. In fact I'm going to have to sell/ give some away soon as the older they get the more sexually active they become and then it will be a population explosion!
I have a 4 month old male fry who suddenlt decided he wanted to mate with his mum! lol
It wasn't funny tho as there was a 3-way fight going on between mum, dad and the adolescent fry ending up with mum getting very distressed and with a split dorsal fin.
The adolescent is now isolated in the 30L tank where he is being taught some manners by the male betta in residence! lol

the_lock_man said:

it has
1, 2.5" common pleco
11 platys
6 platy babys
20 assorted snails

is any one has any genral advice i would be more than welcome to listen :D

That common plec might only be 2½" at the moment, but it wants grow 10 times that amount. If you have a read of the blue link in my signature, hopefully you'll understand why I think it's a bad idea to have one in a 65l tank.

11 adult platies is about your limit in the 65l, so I would recommend getting another tank to grow the fry on in. Theoretically, they can go in with the adults when they are big enough to not be eaten by them, so you're looking at around 2-3 months.
Hi thanks for the post the pleco is in there to grow to clean and to get to a good size ready to move up a tank as im now investing in a new larger tank so its looking like the small tank will now be for the platys and to grow the pleco
How ever i was mistaken after doin a bit or resurch (trying to sex it ) ive discovered its markings and fins are not of a common pleco im still working on what it is exctly but from body shape i think its a she no lt a he as the name would sudjest owell i shall keep looking

Can you post a picture of the pleco and someone might be able to identify what it is for you?

Mamashack said:
Can you post a picture of the pleco and someone might be able to identify what it is for you?
Im trying to get some good pics he a jumpy little thing dont like the flash at all

That's a 'sailfin plec', Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. Could get to two feet, but 18" is more usual.

fluttermoth said:
That's a 'sailfin plec', Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. Could get to two feet, but 18" is more usual.
brillent thank i was wondering how big he would get, i have another in a 6ft tank thats growing like no tomorrow im gona half to get them a big pool i think rather than a tank, the gf wont let me rehome them when i have the skill set to build them a new home but for an 18" pleco and a 24" pleco what sort of size am i looking at needing ?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back