Hello From England

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The Dog

Reaction score
Hiya guys, loving the Forum. Planning on setting up a FE 46l, in the hope of getting my head round the rituals before setting up something bigger

Cheers D

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What's an FE 46l?
I assume it's a brand of tank that holds 46 litres?

What's an FE 46l?
I took it to mean the 46 litre version of the Fluval Edge.
Not the easiest tank to stock as it has the same small footprint as the 23 litre version, just twice as tall.

Thank you for the warm welcome all. Yes I have a Fluvel edge 46l and am starting to realise it’s not that great of a tank, it doesn’t owe me anything so I have decisions to make.

Cheers D

We’ll I can only repeat what as already been said, it has a very small footprint and with it being square. It might be too deep for the small fish that I had in mind. The tank looks lovely but how practical it is remains to be seen. I think I will have a go at planting it up and I’ll try a couple of shrimps etc

Cheers D

The main thing about the 46 litre edge is that it doesn't have much swimming length. Most fish don't mind the depth, it's those fish which need to gulp air at the surface which may have difficulties so as long as you avoid bettas and corydoras, most other fish would be OK.
You would need to look at fish which are OK with not much swimming length and come from waters with roughly the same hardness as your tap water. Check your water company's website for hardness - you need a number and the unit of measurement (there are several). Ignore the words they use as water companies make water sound harder than it really is.
If you have soft water, ember tetras, chili rasboras (Boraras brigittae, it may be sold under a different common name). For hard water look at endlers.

Thank you for your advice, I definitely have hard water here, and we do like the Endlers as it happens. Do you guys use reverse osmosis for your water?

Thanks again

D

Those who use RO do so when they have hard water and want to keep soft water fish, or they have very high nitrate in their tap water. The UK allows up to 50 ppm nitrate in drinking water and we should aim to keep the level below 20 ppm in fish tanks, which is tricky if your tap water is pushing the legal limit. The RO process removes everything - hardness, nitrate etc.

If you are happy with hard water fish and your tap nitrate isn't horrible, you don't need RO.

And those of us lucky enough to have soft water and very low nitrate don't need to use RO.

Thank you for your advice, I definitely have hard water here, and we do like the Endlers as it happens. Do you guys use reverse osmosis for your water?

Thanks again

D
I love my endlers livebearers. I just have males as they are smaller and more colourful, plus there's no chance of fry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back