The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

aquarist_in_china

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
Ā 
I'm living in china and just bought a tank from the massive market there. it has everything, andĀ I searched aroundĀ beforeĀ picking up a tank of a type that's new to me. It has dividers in the back so you have three compartments for foam filter media, ceramic beads, and a separate space for the little powerhead that draws water through it all. The main divider being black means I have a huge volume of filtration (1/8 of the whole tank) for the size of the tank compared with internal filters, but can't see it from the front. I love the design.
Ā 
I've previously had community tanks, and will probably do the same again with this one, but for now it's just got a selection of plants. While I cycle it there's a month or so to decide whether to go for one of the oddities available here, or finally get the pygmy corydoras I've wanted for a long time and build another community around them.
Ā 
Let me quickly tell you an anecdote from today. At the market I saw 18" long sharks for sale, so asked the price. It was about 280 quid sterling. Then I asked how big that type gets, wondering who could house one. The lady in the shop said "it depends on the size of your tank." You couldn't make it up.
smile.png

Ā 
The tank presently has plants floating around in circles inside it, including someĀ sort of water lilly thing,Ā so I'll just post a picture from the box first.
Ā 
DSC09328.jpg
Ā 
Phil

That looks like a pretty neat tank! :)
Welcome to the forum Phil!Ā 
welcomeani.gif

Looks good!
Ā 
welcomeani.gif

Ā 
Confused a little though, you say you're living in China though your status location says United Kingdom.
Ā 
Have you just recently moved to China? If so, thats kinda neat!

Hi! I'm from East Yorkshire, but have lived inĀ Guangzhou since 2011. it's on the mainland, close to hong kong. I find that 'location' normally ends up meaning 'language' andĀ if I choose china I findĀ things like settings pages become Chinese and you can't always change it back. I can read some Chinese, but IĀ prefer my websites in English!Ā 
Ā 
The one problem with this tank is the mini powerhead is still a monster that the label says can output 600L/hr. In 56L that's a strong current and I'll need to choose my fish carefully. The plan to get a betta will have to go, unless I replace the powerhead. Corydoras will probably be alright, but I'll need to do some research.
Ā 
Ch4rlie said:
Looks good!
Ā 
welcomeani.gif

Ā 
Confused a little though, you say you're living in China though your status location says United Kingdom.
Ā 

I also forgot to thank the pair of you for the warm welcome!
Ā 
Ch4rlie said:
Looks good!
Ā 
welcomeani.gif

Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Meeresstille said:
That looks like a pretty neat tank!
smile.png

Welcome to the forum Phil!Ā 
welcomeani.gif

You can maybe try fitting a DIY spraybar on your mini power head to distribute flow, if still too much flow, try enlarging spraybar holes. That might do the trick.

Did that on my gf's nano tank with similar mini powerhead :)

Welcome.
Ā 
We tend to use location to give us an idea of local availabilities. Makes advising stock and sourcing easier. Also useful when people ask about things like medication, as rules vary from country to country.
Ā 
My sister in law lives in Ghangzhou, we'll manage to get out there at some point. Looking forward to it.

Ch4rlie said:
You can maybe try fitting a DIY spraybar on your mini power head to distribute flow, if still too much flow, try enlarging spraybar holes. That might do the trick.

Did that on my gf's nano tank with similar mini powerhead
smile.png
Ā 
Thanks I'm sure that would be possible. The current at the other end is not so bad, so that might make the tank livable for weaker swimmers. :)
Ā 
DrRob said:
Welcome.
Ā 
We tend to use location to give us an idea of local availabilities. Makes advising stock and sourcing easier. Also useful when people ask about things like medication, as rules vary from country to country.
Ā 
My sister in law lives in Ghangzhou, we'll manage to get out there at some point. Looking forward to it.
Ā 
Fair enough! Maybe I can change it...
Ā 
If you need any tips on places to see nearby then ask away. The big one is the market at huadiwan metro station. If you have more time, consider a side trip to the seaside. At Hainan I saw sea turtles (including a conservation project) and there were puffer fish visible from the harour side.Ā 

Thought I'd show a couple of pics of my DIY spray bar on GF's Nano Tank to give you an idea of what option you can do for your tank...
Ā 
Here is the original set up, was not happy with flow output
NanoTankfirstsetupJPG_zps6f400988.jpg

Ā 
Modified spray bar, gives much better flow IMO, cannot really see the surface ripple/agitation, but does the job very well.
SAM_0963_zpsb5fce972.jpg

Ā 
SAM_0966_zps8da5e709.jpg

Ā 
Hope that helpĀ 
smile.png

Ch4rlie said:
Thought I'd show a couple of pics of my DIY spray bar on GF's Nano Tank to give you an idea of what option you can do for your tank...
Ā 
Here is the original set up, was not happy with flow output
NanoTankfirstsetupJPG_zps6f400988.jpg

Ā 
Modified spray bar, gives much better flow IMO, cannot really see the surface ripple/agitation, but does the job very well.
SAM_0963_zpsb5fce972.jpg

Ā 
SAM_0966_zps8da5e709.jpg

Ā 
Hope that helpĀ 
smile.png
Ā 
I like that! It looks quite professional, too. Certainly, if I want a slow moving fish there's a need either for something like this or a weaker filter. Logically, spreading the water flow out makes more sense as a first option than weakening the flow and filtration along with it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back