Hello Everybody

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RainboWBacoN420

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey there, this is my first post on these forums so I'll start out introducing myself and more importantly letting you know about the aquarium critters I take care of.
My names is Dylan, I'm eighteen years old and have always been fansicated with aquatic life more than anything. I live about an hour away from the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Calfironia of the U.S., so I've been there quite a few times and each time I swear its pushed me closer to actually wanting a career in marine biology. But I have many college courses to take if I'm going to do such a thing, so I'm starting out very small with home aquariums. As a kid I always had small 3 gallon tanks with your average goldfish and hermit crabs. It wasn't until recently I realized I could maintain community tanks. I have a job, so I could get a pretty decent tank running. I own a 15, 10, and 5 gallon tank. The 15 is the community tank, the main attraction. But the 10 gallon is own as the crab tank. The 5 gallon is simply a back up tank, but I might have some residents put into there like a small school of danios in the future.
So in the 15 gallon community tank, currently I only have a dwarf gaurami, five neon tetra, a dojo loach, and two albino cory catfish. I used to have mollies, a platy and shrimp before i came across a nasty fungus outbreak that I was completely not prepared for... One morning I woke up for work, came back 9 hours later and one of my dalmation mollies was completely wrapped in cotteny fungus... We had been treating the tank ever since, but all the mollies, platy and shrimp died. It was probably too many fish, over feeding, and I didn't let the tank cycle long enough or I always broke the cycle too often. So as a beginner, I've realized my mistakes, and will try to prevent any of this madness from happening again. The fungus seems to be under control and all the fish seem to be doing fine now.
The crab tank shouldn't be called the crab tank anymore, he recently died during moulting not too long ago. He lived for over a month since I brought him home, I assume he didn't live long because the water wasn't brackish, he was a happy little crab, he had a nice beach, a nice little cave on shore and underwater, a lovely artificial plant and his favorite thing to climb on was the filter. Three small tequila sunrise guppies lived with him too and they got along just fine staying out of each others way. Hopefully soon I'll get another red clawed crab and leave him to a home with brackish water this time.
This hobby is addicting as most of you probably already know and are fish addicts, too. I love this hobby, and hope to perfect fish keeping as the years go on. Soon I hope try out a saltwater tank with coral and anemones possibly, but that may only come if I ever hit the lottery because I've seen the financial damage of buying coral.

I actually forgot to mention that I have a betta tank in a 3.5 gallon. His name is Nebula because of his color scheme and he isn't afraid of anything, not even being swept up in a net during water changes. Actually we've stopped using the net to get him because all we need to do is put a cup in his tank, and he'll just swim in there on his own! I've never owned a betta fish until now because I always thought they were kinda tacky. But my girlfriend pushed me towards the idea and I do not regret it at all.

Welcome to the forums!  :)  Nice name for a betta - got a picture of him?

I'll be posting plenty of pics of everyone and those who have come and gone, I do have to get ready for work at the moment...
But I will posting pics maybe later tonight. C:

Hello &
welcomeani.gif

Hope you enjoy the forum and glad to have you on board.

Hello and welcome, lovely to ready your story very interesting I am from England UK just started with my 1st aquarium.
Nice to meet you :)

I'm testing to see if the pics upload correctly so here's a test pic of the two albino cory catfish of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20150502_132002.jpg
    IMG_20150502_132002.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 78
Okay, I can't edit this thread for some reason, so I'm just going to upload the pics I've chosen in a new comment. So without further ado.

Attachments

• IMG_20150502_142354.jpg
    IMG_20150502_142354.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20150502_142945.jpg
    IMG_20150502_142945.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20150502_140217.jpg
    IMG_20150502_140217.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 52
Thanks! He's actually gotten prettier since I took that picture because of the Betta BioGold we've been feeding him. He began to develop some red spots on one of his fins. C:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back