Heaters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hoplesswfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 140 gallon tank with 3x300 watt heaters now I have them set for 83 F but my digital therm. says it is 79 F and they all are off I cant see how they all would be broke does any on know what I should do it is late and I dont want the temp to go down any more and I cant get them to work right I unpluged them and took them out and turned them down and I hear the click then I set them to the temp I want and plug them back in and they stay on for about a min but then shut off the temp has not moved up at all when I touch them they get hot but I dont understaind what the problem is please help

They may not be callibrated correctly, sounds like they are off by 4F. Set them 2F higher than you want to start, see if they stay on.

What brand of heaters are they?

Visi-Therm Deluxe Heaters I did that and they turn on but they dont stay on for more than a min or two

If I'm not mistaken visi-therms have an auto off if they think they are overheating. Leave them unplugged for about 10 minutes, and make sure the suction cup clips aren't too low, or they aren't touching anything, that may create hot spots. Make sure there is proper water flow around them as well.

It's really odd that hey would all go out at the same time. This may be caused by a bad extension or power strip, or corroded connections on the plug or power strip. Try switching power strips, extensions, & outlets, as well as using a little steel wool or sandpaper on the plugs themselves.

Just to make sure unplug everything before messing with steel wool or sandpaper.

Ok , I have to crash. If none of that works, wrap the tank in a blanket. Get some 2 liter bottles, and fill them with warm, almost hot tap water. Float them in the tank, this will keep it warm until you figure if it's an electrical connection problem, or for some really odd reason all 3 heaters went out at once.

I tried a different power strip already before I posted I did the steal wool thimg and am now waiting the ten min to plug them in again

Also don't forget heaters heat the water immeditaely around them and when that water is to temperature they are fooled into turning off, once that water has moved away and they sense the cooler temperature they will turn back on

well I got a new ther. and it is not that both heaters are by where the water comes back in the tank ( I have to filters) one one each side of the tank
I dont see how they all could go bad at the same time they are all less then 4 months old

should I buy new heaters or what should I do I have two discus in the tank one is not looking so good so I cant wait the time it will take to send them out for warrenty

Most reactions

trending

Back