Has The Credit Crunch Affected Your Hobby

yeah, okay, you say all that andywg, but I personally do not have alot of debt. I took on the car because my income would allow it, just like I took on fish cos my income would allow it. Would you class having fish in the same bracket as holidays and shoes then?
Is it essetial to keep fish to live? No. Therefore it will come into a similar bracket.

However, when you say "your income would allow it" does that meean you saved and paid for it, or that you took on credit to buy it now rather than save and then buy? If the latter, just becasue your income allows it at this point, it does not mean it will always be so and it also means you have chosen to take on that credit.
 
It hasnt affected me yet!
 
i am pretty safe at the moment,my rent has only risen by £20 a month which isnt to bad
and my job is pretty secure but a lot of people i work with have had hour cuts.
 
yeah, okay, you say all that andywg, but I personally do not have alot of debt. I took on the car because my income would allow it, just like I took on fish cos my income would allow it. Would you class having fish in the same bracket as holidays and shoes then?
Is it essetial to keep fish to live? No. Therefore it will come into a similar bracket.

However, when you say "your income would allow it" does that meean you saved and paid for it, or that you took on credit to buy it now rather than save and then buy? If the latter, just becasue your income allows it at this point, it does not mean it will always be so and it also means you have chosen to take on that credit.
I saved and paid for it
 
I am a production engineer/safety controller in the electricity generating industry, so I am minted up to my eyeballs :shifty:

I will soon be setting up a 120cm opti white ADA style tank with ADA style cabinet. I am also eyeing up the new Nikon D700 camera, a trip to Marrakesh, Spain and the Amazon, having just got back from Rome.

Sorry for sounding smug, but I have worked hard all my life and deserve what I have achieved and earn.

I wonder if I can afford to start up sub aqua as a hobby........? :rolleyes:

Dave.
 
Jealousy is a terrible thing I know. I'll just keep calm....Well done Dave and I wish you all the best in the future :good: :good: :good:

Holly
 
Jealousy is a terrible thing I know. I'll just keep calm....Well done Dave and I wish you all the best in the future :good: :good: :good:

Holly

Thank you,, Monster Munch for giving me the opportunity to be arrogant and irritating. :lol:

For me, the bottom line has always been don`t spend what you haven`t got. I never use a credit card.

Dave.
 
yeah, okay, you say all that andywg, but I personally do not have alot of debt. I took on the car because my income would allow it, just like I took on fish cos my income would allow it. Would you class having fish in the same bracket as holidays and shoes then?
Is it essetial to keep fish to live? No. Therefore it will come into a similar bracket.

However, when you say "your income would allow it" does that meean you saved and paid for it, or that you took on credit to buy it now rather than save and then buy? If the latter, just becasue your income allows it at this point, it does not mean it will always be so and it also means you have chosen to take on that credit.

omg, I'm going to sound extremely critical, but It's grea that someone else(Andy) gets it!!!

Just think, if all the idiots got it they wouldn't have gotten mortgages that they couldn't pay for. Esp. arms, where the hell did they think interest rates would go if they were at an all time low?? That is just insane they do those deals and beg for help when the rates adjust. It's just plain stupidity imo. Not stopping to think. The only loans we have are our house (with a 5% fixed rate) and a tiny student loan of about $1700. We proudly have 4 cars that we saved and paid for. In fact our newest addition is a minivan that we paid $9500 for IN CASH b/c we saved and earned it. People just need to learn what they really NEED vs what they WANT. We live in gotta have it, give it to me now society and that's what has sunk sooo many people. I think some need to learn the hard way.

Andy is right. If people weren't so stupid w/their money they wouldn't have collectors coming around.

ANNNND if money is so tight that an increase in gas is causing trouble for people then they were already in trouble in the first place. Paycheck to paycheck IS in trouble. People need to learn to live below their means and they need to learn how to budget. Too many times (when I worked at a major retailer) a customer would tell me they came in for XX and XX and they are leaving w/a cart full of junk...litterally junk. Talk about blowing money and using it unwisely.

Oh, and I hope the govt doesn't bail people out. Where are they going to get the extra money from? From the people who worked their a$$es off to get where they are. Did you know that almost all new millionares are self made? That means they worked saved and lived below their means. The lower class have ample opportunity to get ahead. There are govt grants that can send them to college for free. How about that? The only problem is most don't do it and end up wallowing in poverty and I'm against helping those people.


Ok I could go on an on,but I think i've ranted enough. Now I'll sit back and watch people chew me out b/c I spoke the truth and they don't like it. :S
 
Ye know.... I'm currently 40 tanks strong (after downscaling from about (at least) 150 and the only one I've ever paid for was my very first....since then, my fish has allowed me to expand. (reason for downscaling is because I'm not near any big centres where breeding stock and equipment are readily available)

I never take cash from the pet stores for fish supplied, but take the monetary equivalent in fish foods here and a heater or pump there to the extent that I currently have reserves at all pet shops in the vicinity.

Where I may feel the pressure of the financial burdens, at least my hobby pays for itself and expands.
 
I wonder if I can afford to start up sub aqua as a hobby........? :rolleyes:

You can start cheaply, but get too much into it and watch the costs go up. My next large purchase (I hope) will be a Rebreather, forthwihc the cost of purchase and training goes over 5k (so a few years down the line for that). Add on to that the costs of wanting to dive the Arctic and the Antarctic...

Then theres' the problem that me and the wife are doing it together at the same time, so all costs are doubled.

Andy is right. If people weren't so stupid w/their money they wouldn't have collectors coming around.

I don't think that is quite how I put it. ;) I was merely pointing out that being in debt is a conscious decision that one makes, and as such one must face the consequences.

Oh, and I hope the govt doesn't bail people out. Where are they going to get the extra money from? From the people who worked their a$$es off to get where they are.

This I agree with muchly :nod:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top