FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Harley has bent spine. Eats and swims about normal. Other 4 harleys look normal. Is this TB?

A12F3AFC-77CC-4A54-9A6B-BD8485E55FAE.jpeg

How long have you had the fish for?

I would say its a genetic defect

that one is only about year or so

Yes, how long ago did you notice this?

Did you get him like this? Or did this just happen? :)

I just noticed it yesterday...

Any new additions? Or same fish for a year? It is possible it could be TB but I would think there would be other symptoms present. “...it is a progressive condition that may not show signs until years after the infection begins.” - S. Mosely, Kenyon College, Mycobacteriosis (Fish Tuberculosis)

I have one just like this - but not quite as severe - he/she gets around just fine. Again, a genetic defect - she/he is kind of cute this way and it doesn't seem to slow her down at all.

I don't think it's TB. The granulomas that form inside a fish that has Mycobacteria develop slowly over a period of months. As they grow they put pressure on the body and cause it to deform but it's a slow process. Your fish has gone S shaped in 24-48 hours and that is not TB or anything I know of.

Can you post some more pictures and a short video of it swimming?

Lets just say I just noticed it. He may have been that for a while. All fish eat well and swim well including that one.

I have had fish develop this, as in the video. With this species which are commercially raised, things like this are more common due to genetic defects. If the fish is able to feed, which it seems to be, I leave them and they can live for months if not even years. If it seems to be having difficulty, I euthanize them. There is no cure so far as I know from a marine biologist.

The fish is having trouble staying buoyant and it could have air in its intestine, which is causing it to float up a bit when it stops swimming. Stop feeding it on dry food for a week (use frozen or live instead), and see how it swims/ floats after that.

The food has nothing to do with the bent body but the deformity might be causing air to get trapped and makes the fish float more than it should.

He does not have trouble staying buoyant. He just is going to the surface as I put flakes in the tank before taking video.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back