Hard Water Clean Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

icecrzy

Reaction score
So I have a 20 gal tank. Not new. We live in a very hard water area. How do you clean up hard water stains from around the top rim of the tank, tank lid, outside of filter,etc. I know cleaners aren't safe. I want to know how others do it. It gets so thick. White crusty film.

I use vinegar. It’s easy and cheap.

Just set the tank on its side, and pour enough on the one side so the entire bottom is covered. Let that sit for about 30 minutes and the scrub it really hard. It worked for me when I got my used 10g. Good luck! ;)

Start with the nylon pads as seangee said. If it still doesn't come off, run a razor blade across the glass and it'll come right off. On the trim, you'll have a much harder time. You can use white vinegar and/or salt along with a nylon scrubber. Both are safe for fish, but try not to get it into the tank water.

I bought a tank from someone that had quite a bit of hard water build up. Getting it off the glass was cake, but on the trim no matter what I did, it wouldn't come off 100%. The tank came with a canopy, so It cannot be seen.

As I do agree with that, I think it would be much easier, and less painful just to start with the vinegar, because it’s a guarantee it’ll work. And I don’t suggest using a razor blade either because it’s pointless if you’re using the vinegar.

(Not trying to hate, just IMHO. ;))

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back