Half A Khuli Loach And A Dead Shrimp

The young one

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
576
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
B Paradise
Hi, I bought 6 cherry shrimp from the lfs yesterday, I already had 3 khuli loaches in the tank.
I woke up this morning and there is half a khuli loach with no scales and a cherry shrimp with no head.

Do cherry shrimp and khuli loaches fight?

Thanks in advance
Joe
 
I wouldnt think they would fight. I've never kept kuhli loaches but i've certainly never heard reports of them being aggressive as such. This is a great mystery to me. You sure theres nothing more sinister in your tank thats capeable of inflicting such injuries?
 
Wow, this is a strange one.
What filter do you have?
Is there anyway they could of took a journey in there?

YF
 
If thats all you've got in there the only thing i can think of would be a possibly beetle larvae of some sort. It would have to be a big one though to get a khuli loach, and even that possibility seems farfetched. Larvae are predatory and i wouldnt rule out your shrimp being had by one. Have you got any plants in the tank, if so check them thoroughly for weird bug-like critters that look like something from another world (basically)

I can't think of other alternatives, other than perhaps they died over night and your shrimp had a midnight feast. I know they can devour carcuses at an alarming rate. Meaning by morning whatever died can sometimes be half eaten already.
 
It's a fluval 2 filter and the khulis don't even go near the filter, the shrimp stay on the plants.

They all looked fine last night aswell.

The plants have been in the tank for a month and I had tiger barbs and corydoras until yesterday ( I gave them away),
so I don't think there is a bug and I can't see one.
 
khulis not aggressive?? ha try telling mine that!
i started a post on here a while back about my guppys going missing, after months of watching i found out the khulis were attacking and bringing down the guppys in the night in a kind of frenzied attack! i evicted the khulis into my platy tank and the same thing happened. so i put the khulis in my shrimp tank (shrimp aint fish right?), same thing happened!
so now my khulis live alone in a 30L tank, probably not big enough but i dare not sell them on incase they destroy someone elses fish! if it makes any difference its the plain brown khulis not the striped ones.
 
Mine are the striped khulis, I don't think they would attack the shrimp as they have lived with numerous different bottom dwellers and have never attacked anything.
 
Just a thought, is there a lid on your tank, I take it that cat in your pic is your's. Any chance the cat could have had a go.
Horrible thing to happen though.
 
The lid is secure and my door is shut at night and also the kitten is locked downstairs, he just fell in the toilet.
 
:lol: It's because my other cat was in the bathroom and he always tries to pounce on her so he has to get up high, I don't think he realized the seat was up. It was a big splash aswell.
 
khulis not aggressive?? ha try telling mine that!
i started a post on here a while back about my guppys going missing, after months of watching i found out the khulis were attacking and bringing down the guppys in the night in a kind of frenzied attack! i evicted the khulis into my platy tank and the same thing happened. so i put the khulis in my shrimp tank (shrimp aint fish right?), same thing happened!
so now my khulis live alone in a 30L tank, probably not big enough but i dare not sell them on incase they destroy someone elses fish! if it makes any difference its the plain brown khulis not the striped ones.
I would really like to see a picture of these kuhlis...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top