Had A Small Family Emergency This Morning...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jesse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well I had that post about my pearl cichlids trying to breed...well their efforts failed and the male started beating up on the female. I noticed this morning she was torn up and kinda floating near the top. As I was trying to get ready to leave for work I threw one of my empty 20 gallon tanks on the kitchen counter and filled it up. Luckily I keep some sponge filters cycled just in case. When I get home I'll run to the hardware store and build a divider for the 75 gal so I can put them back together and maybe try again after she heals up.

Pearl Cichlids - Geophagus' brasiliensis

"Males are territorial, particularly when spawning, while very small tankmates may be predated upon."

Quoted from this -

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/geophagus-brasiliensis/

As is with many cichlids, aggression seems to be a part of their very nature, more so with this species as they are somewhat more aggressive than other species of cichlids and hail from a different biotopes.

This does unfortunately happen and am not sure why, but a good to have that other set up running and keeping the female in there to recover, but I feel if you were to return her to the same tank as the male, she may get stressed or the male may yet again harrass the female.

I do not have much knowledge of these species and hopefully a keeper who keeps or has kept these species will give you more information about them.

Like I said I'm going to be installing a diVider. I am good with cichlids as I have 5 tanks full this is just the first problem I've encountered

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back