HA6 silicone

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I used HA6 silicone to seal the second hand tank I purchased just to be extra sealed and secure. It says marine safe.

Just wondering how long it takes to be 100% cured and safe to add fish and not leach? Anyone used it?

I saw somewhere 7 days, it has been 5 days and I intended to add in 2, now I'm reading that silicone cures in 24 hours - I also have vague memory of someone saying it takes 1 month.

If anyone here knows with conviction the true period, please confirm!

Also since its my first time silicone sealing, it wasn't the neatest, if any advice on tidying up the edges and removing excess silicone (already dried at this point) to make the tank look as pretty as possible without smudges silicone in somewhat wavey lines spread along the edges.. I will greatly appreciate your helpful words.

Thanks a lot.

Single sided razorblades can be used to clean up excess silicon. Normally you try to clean it up before it dries :)

Silicon is normally touch dry in a few hours and has a decent skin on the outside after 24 hours. It's recommended you leave the silicon to dry for 7 days so it is completely cured. This can vary depending on temperature and humidity. In warm dry conditions it will cure faster than in cold or damp conditions.

Big tanks (4x2x2ft or bigger) should be left for 7 days to dry before filling with water because they have more silicon between the glass and the thicker silicon takes longer to dry and cure too.

Smaller tanks (2x1x1ft) can usually be filled after 4 or 5 days. Again though, temperature dependent.

I only use Selleys Glass Silicone, that states it is for Aquariums. It takes between 7 and 10 days to cure.
I spoke to Selleys a while ago about different Silicones their message was that the formula in this product is designed to take the forces associated with building aquariums.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back