FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TheresaK

Reaction score
Hello. I have a ten gallon tank with four male guppies, two female guppies, one pleco, one black ghost knife, two goldfish and two angelfish. I know it's very overcrowded and the species are mixed but I like it that way. Don't tell me that I'm a irresponsible fish keeper or what. Today when I was feeding them bloodworms I saw one of my snakeskin male guppy has a torn tail. I put in a two gallon bucket and fill it with water and place it in the tank cause I don't have anymore space to put another extra bucket. My guppy male is this long if measure from head to tail --------------------- and the torn part is this long ----- the most serious part is the middle part. So what should I do? I only have the ich medicine thingy and the FishPro water conditioner. I don't have the stress coat or anything. I don't even have a water testing kit. They don't sell it here.
What should I do? Please reply as fast as possible thank you. Don't judge me please.

If possible, set up a filtered quarantine tank. I think that the best thing is just to make sure it has pristine water and it will probably heal on its own.

I know you said to not say it but I feel I have to advise you:
The Black ghost knife fish is not suitable for your tank (they need a 130+ gallon tank)
The Pleco is not suitable (what species?)
The Goldfish is not suitable 
The Angel fish is not suitable.
The guppies will probably breed so you will end up with lots of babies.

I know and I'm now saving money for a 300 gallon one with a proper filter and pump. But the saving process may take a long time. I have a 1000 gallon outdoor pond with seven kois and I'm deciding to release the goldfish into the pond. The kois are around 2 and a half inch big and there's a huge one around 4 inch. I don't have anymore tanks just a three gallon with a giant crayfish in there. I can't put it in there as the crayfish is too aggressive.
How long does it takes for a guppy tail to heal? And will it be a different pattern or colour?

It should remain the same pattern/colour as before.
The time it takes for it to heal will depend on the fish and all you can do is just give it lots of clean water. Monitor the tank stats closely and a daily 10-25% waterchange daily would help (regardless of the stats).

Hi, you said you don't have a test kit because they don't sell them there?Your profile says your in the UK so I am quite surprised you can't get one, if your lfs doesn't sell them you can buy them easily online from amazon, eBay or places like pet-supermarket.co.uk (<-- they do free delivery on everything) or even pet shops like Pets At Home sell them on there website.

I agree with Blondie, having random odball fish is great but to be honest I would rehome most of them until you can get a bigger tank, your 10g (uk Gallon?) is definitely to small and you are going to have a lot of health problems in the future, which isn't fair on your fish.

Also agree you should set up a quarantine tank, this doesn't literally have to be a tank, a robust but suitable plastic container can be used along as you filter and heat it. My guppies get their tails nipped every so often and tbh I just leave them in the tank unless it looks infected/like fin rot.

Sorry I set the wrong location :/ our pet shops here are quite low standard compared to the others, I know it cause I went into a pet shop at UK.. I was just accompanying my cousin there. Mine is us gallon, sorry for not stating.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back