Guppy With Bent Spine

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rust81

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a guppy that is feeding well and i think is still giving birth every 4 weeks or so to fry. It's spine is bent however almost in the middle (so that its tail points downwards more than it should). Having just got back from a weeks hols i have also noticed its body seems to have a bend left to right. Now this looks really weird. Could it just be deformation?

Is it possible to load a pic up of the sick fish.
Bent spine means if not born that way, old age, injury, fish tb to internal parasites.
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Check the anus to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.
Does the fish look very thin or bloated.

Here's a pic of the guppy in question! I have had her for about 4 months, but have no idea how old she is. She wasnt like this when i got her, but i think i do feed them quite a bit! Fish doesnt look thin or bloated. Around it's gravid spot it does have a red tinge - but i wouldnt say this is red.
DSC01705.jpg

Can you issolate her.
You can't mend a bent spine.
Have you lost any fish to being really skinny.

Well it has been like that for a month and it is still eating and being chased by the male, so will just let nature take its course. I think there is a tendency to get carried away and start medicating for the slightest of issues.

Could internal parasites be to blame for the spine bending? If so, would wormer plus be good to use?

Yes internal parasites can cause a bent spine
Once a fish has a bent spine there no cure for that fish, but you can save the rest of the tank by using an internal wormer.
Livebearers are prone to camallanous worms.
Worner plus says it treat quite a few internal parasites but dosn't say it treats camallanous worms.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/nematodes.shtml

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back