Guppy swimming abnormally :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kiera17

Reaction score
I have a 54l tank that was set up on the 23rd of November and I got two male guppies just over two weeks of it being set up. As soon as I added them in the ammonia spiked to 1 and I'm unsure whether it is still at 1 as my ammonia test strips aren't clear with what colour it is. I have a feeling that my tank isn't fully cycled yet and one of my guppies has suddenly became ill today. He is swimming like he has a weight at the end of his tail as his head is just pointing upwards. He keeps on laying down inside one of his hides looking like he has no energy and he is breathing quite rapidly. My other guppy doesn't really seem to be affected other than swimming against the glass quite a lot. All I want to know is whether any one believes it is caused by ammonia and how can I fix it as I'm doing regular water changes and adding filter aid and dechlorinator each time but I don't know whether I should do them everyday or what. Please could some one give me some advice as I'm really worried that my little guy is on his way out soon and I really don't want that or don't want it to happen to my other one :(
I have attached a video to show more clearly what he is doing(hopefully it has attached)Thanks in advance for any advice that is offered to me

I'm unsure whether it is still at 1 as my ammonia test strips aren't clear with what colour it is

Do a 50% water change today and 50% tomorrow then change water as needed till your strips say zero, the only safe level for ammonia is zero.

What type of water conditioner do you use?

Do a 50% water change today and 50% tomorrow then change water as needed till your strips say zero, the only safe level for ammonia is zero.

What type of water conditioner do you use?
My new test kit has arrived which are the drops instead of the test strips and it says my ammonia is 0 phewww and I use bioactive tapsafe plus which has added aloe Vera in.
But this morning whilst I was watching my guppy I saw it panicking which caused it to not be able to move at all after wards other than his pectoral fins which is worrying as before he was able to move his whole body but now he can't which makes me wonder whether it's not down to water quality and that he has physically hurt himself maybe?

I use bioactive tapsafe plus which has added aloe Vera in.

I am not a fan of anything to do with Aloe Vera in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back