Guppy Problems...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The guppies and endlers will interbreed. You have too many males per female. The correct ratio is 1m 3fm. Sorry to hear about your fish.

I only have male endlers and their separate. The male and female guppies were separate and I added one male at a time as I was selectively breeding them. I know the correct ratio as I have kept guppies and bred for years.

I wasn't saying just add some baking soda/salt into the tank, use a measured amount per volume of water in water when you are doing changes to raise gradually GH and pH to proper levels. Adding crushed coral means the tank pH and GH will increase, but it won't change the water you add until it's been in the tank for a time. In addition, every water change will probably decrease the pH drastically if the tap over there is 6.8 (I wish it was at my house), and a .3 change is enough to cause pH shock in relatively hardy fish.

First, that is not what you said. Giving partial advice like "add baking soda or salt" to the tank doesn't really imply that you would be adding a measured amount, nor that it would have to be added continually. Meanwhile, the advice I gave offers a more long-term approach and less effort.

Second, the pH difference of 0.3 for a fish isn't really that big a deal, especially when the pH is at 6.8. The difference is nearly negligible. The hardness is the much more important concern, and that is why I recommended more frequent smaller water changes to keep the levels from changing considerably and doing it slowly is even more important.

I wasn't saying just add some baking soda/salt into the tank, use a measured amount per volume of water in water when you are doing changes to raise gradually GH and pH to proper levels. Adding crushed coral means the tank pH and GH will increase, but it won't change the water you add until it's been in the tank for a time. In addition, every water change will probably decrease the pH drastically if the tap over there is 6.8 (I wish it was at my house), and a .3 change is enough to cause pH shock in relatively hardy fish.

First, that is not what you said. Giving partial advice like "add baking soda or salt" to the tank doesn't really imply that you would be adding a measured amount, nor that it would have to be added continually. Meanwhile, the advice I gave offers a more long-term approach and less effort.

Second, the pH difference of 0.3 for a fish isn't really that big a deal, especially when the pH is at 6.8. The difference is nearly negligible. The hardness is the much more important concern, and that is why I recommended more frequent smaller water changes to keep the levels from changing considerably and doing it slowly is even more important.

I am sorry that my advice was unclear. I should have been more in-depth.
And .3 is, on the pH scale, quite a big difference for most fish, since pH is measured on a logarithmic scale. A large change in any parameter, however, could cause shock.

whered u buy them from?

Same place I've always got them, my LFS.

which is... :fun:

Middletons Pet's and Gardens in Town or Sheffield Exotics in Attercliffe.

Ah ok, not a stab at them but, if it was somewhere like pets at home (ones in my area anyway) i've never had a guppy last from there for more than a month, apart from the fry they dropped, dunno what the stock in those shops would be like tho

whered u buy them from?

Same place I've always got them, my LFS.

which is... :fun:

Middletons Pet's and Gardens in Town or Sheffield Exotics in Attercliffe.

Ah ok, not a stab at them but, if it was somewhere like pets at home (ones in my area anyway) i've never had a guppy last from there for more than a month, apart from the fry they dropped, dunno what the stock in those shops would be like tho

Stock in both of these shops is pristine.

Google Hemorrhagic Septacimia this is a disease that commonly affects guppies.
I have no first hand experience with it as such but a friend was experiencing similar symptoms in his guppies.
He lost 5 guppies in 3 days with pristine water and no other fish affected.
We put it down to bacterial infection and after research this was the closest thing we could find to explain the deaths.

That's what I was going to suggest. I had an outbreak that took out almost all of my guppies within 2-3 days. The symptoms were very similar. It did affect my other fish (rasboras and corys), but to a much lesser degree. I only lost one rasbora and one cory, but 7 guppies. I was able to save the survivors by treating with antibiotics. Since then, I'll occasionally lose a guppy to some kind of wasting disease but none of my other fish are affected are ever affected. They just get very skinny and fade away, even after worming them.

My outbreak started with a new fish I bought. Ironically, he was one of the survivors and never showed full symptoms.. It really drove home the value of an isolation tank for new fish. I never want to go through that again...it was terrible watching them die so quickly and not being able to help them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back