Guppy has swim bladder issues...Do I avoid swim bladder treatment as I have a Bamboo Shrimp???

StuntMan86

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Hope you're well. My female guppy has had swim bladder issues for the last 3 days. I didn't feed her for 2 days and then tried giving her peas. Is this the best approach to take? Today I also went to a fish store and bought some swim bladder treatment but when I'd got home I'd noticed it said do not use in aquariums containing scaleless fish (I have a plea, Cory's and a Bamboo shrimp) Do I need to avoid using this treatment even at a lower strength?

Pics? Video? If the video is too long to post on here upload it to youtube and post the link here. Are you sure its swim bladder? Swim bladder is actually very uncommon.

I can't really get a video at the moment as I've put her into an ice cream tub with lots of holes in which is floating in the top of the tank so you can't she the issue too well. I'll give it a go though. She's basically swimming vertically with her head up and is bobbing all over the place. She did seem to be slightly 'bent' which threw me a little too. She was fine 2 days before.

I can't really get a video at the moment as I've put her into an ice cream tub with lots of holes in which is floating in the top of the tank so you can't she the issue too well. I'll give it a go though. She's basically swimming vertically with her head up and is bobbing all over the place. She did seem to be slightly 'bent' which threw me a little too. She was fine 2 days before.
When she stops swimming does she sink or float?

Poor gup. You have a beautiful tank btw.

I dont think she'll make it sadly.

Poor gup. You have a beautiful tank btw.

I dont think she'll make it sadly.
Thanks, My tank looks terribly dirty in that corner

I hate not being able to help fish in this situation. I have no idea what has even happened.

Thanks, My tank looks terribly dirty in that corner

I hate not being able to help fish in this situation. I have no idea what has even happened.
Yeah that feeling is the worst. Are any other fish showing similar symptoms?

Yeah that feeling is the worst. Are any other fish showing similar symptoms?
The others seem ok, But a female honey gourami did randomly die one day last week but she just suddenly appeared lifeless at the bottom of the tank. Wasn't sure if my Acara's had attacked her but I couldn't see any injuries.

The others seem ok, But a female honey gourami did randomly die one day last week but she just suddenly appeared lifeless at the bottom of the tank. Wasn't sure if my Acara's had attacked her but I couldn't see any injuries.
What size tank do you have?

@Colin_T might be able to identify it

she is dying, euthanise her.

there is no treatment for swim bladder problems, and I don't think your fish has a swim bladder issue.

return the medication and get a refund.

What size tank do you have?

@Colin_T might be able to identify it
My tank is 125L.
20200603_002520.jpg

she is dying, euthanise her.

there is no treatment for swim bladder problems, and I don't think your fish has a swim bladder issue.

return the medication and get a refund.
Ok Thanks for your help

Most reactions

Back