Guppy Gender Mix

1staquarium

New Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leeds, England
I am in the process of cycling my new tropical tank and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on guppies. I would like to ideally keep both sexes and see if they eventually breed? When would be the best time to introduce the guppies to the tank?
Also, what type of catfish/algae eater can happily be kept with guppies? I quite like the look of the bristle-nosed catfish but have read it should have wood to chew on and that this can discolour the tank?
Is there a good order/time span to introduce these fish that anyone can advise me on?
Thanks :)
 
Yeah so I've heard!! I would prefer to keep just one catfish, would one bristle-nose be ok on its own or do they also prefer schools? Also, would it be possible to just keep a couple of males at first or would they fight? I would prefer not to breed them until I know what I am doing as this is my first tropical tank. Thanks!
 
bns get to big for a 64l. there are lots of diffrent types of corys and look great when they shoal together and you dont have to do anythink to breed guppys just add males and females to a tank and you will have babys within a month.
 
I have read that they get about 10-15cm adult size? I really only want one catfish, are there any breeds that would be happy living on its own, or maybe in a pair?
 
A single BNP in a tank that size would be fine. Although they can get 5 inches, 13 cm, long it takes a long time for them to get that big. If you put a mix of male and female guppies in the tank, it will soon be full of guppies so even just one male and one female would be plenty to fill the tank.
 
Or you could have corydoras catfish, which you could have maybe 5 of as they like to be in groups. If you type in google images you'll see what they look like in comparison to bristlenoses.
 
I have been to four pet shops today (!!) and had a look at all the different catfish, I still really like the bristle-nose so far. Also, some of the others are very expensive! I would quite like to get a male and female BN if I find I can afford them (not sure yet how much they cost?) would they be happy living with guppies and white clouds once my tank has had chance to cycle properly?

I plan to sell/give most of the guppies to LFS (one in particular who are excellent and will not sell fish to people who are not equipped to care for them, after asking a load of questions they have on a form, which I was very impressed and surprised to find!) maybe keeping a couple if there are any particularly nice ones. This particular pet store told me they often get in some very nice black flame tailed male guppies which I saw when I bought my tank :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top