Guppy disease. Need help ASAP.

Normally a liquid broad spectrum fish medication that treats protozoan, fungus and bacterial infections. However, if it's spreading then you will probably need anti-biotics. Metronidazole won't do anything but Kanamycin might.

Anti-biotics work best in bare tanks with no substrate, ornaments or filter. Just have a heater and airstone and a few plastic plants to help the fish feel secure.

When using anti-biotics, you should wipe the inside of the tank down each day and do a 100% water change before re-treating them.

--------------------
Before you treat the tank, do the following things.
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

------
If you are treating the tank with filter and gravel, do the following.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge each day before re-treating.

Do a 75-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day before re-treating. The water change and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.
The filter should be cleaned each day before- re-treating.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using salt or medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Thank you very much, i will give them Kanamycin. I bought it online with same day delivery and will clean up the tank before treating with antibiotic.

Hope they all will make it and be as healthy as they are before, thank you again :)

Here is a website about fish medications for your future reference:

With the antibiotic in the tank since yesterday, this morning another female die. she's so bloated, i also notice her gils are peach in color and kinda swollen. the white fuzzy thing covers almost the entire belly area of her body.

The antibiotic instruction is 2gr for 50l of water, i have 96l water and i did the excat measure to not overdosing, the packaging says to water change 30% and add more meds on the 3rd, 5th and 7th day and then stop the meds if no improvement showing.

here's the picture of the female that passed away this morning.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-06 at 12.43.19.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-06 at 12.43.19.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 51
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-04-06 at 12.43.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-06 at 12.43.20.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 50
With the antibiotic in the tank since yesterday, this morning another female die. she's so bloated, i also notice her gils are peach in color and kinda swollen. the white fuzzy thing covers almost the entire belly area of her body.

The antibiotic instruction is 2gr for 50l of water, i have 96l water and i did the excat measure to not overdosing, the packaging says to water change 30% and add more meds on the 3rd, 5th and 7th day and then stop the meds if no improvement showing.

here's the picture of the female that passed away this morning.
I'm sorry for your losses :(
But it was likely too late for her, antibiotics take some time to work. I really suggest you follow the instructions and complete the course of treatment.

Hello,

I want to share some update about my guppies.

this is the 5th day and yesterday i lost 6 fry and now the only adult female left is showing that white spot again.

In two days the treatment will be completed.

What should i do now because honestly i don't think the medication is working.

If you can share your advice @Colin_T i would really appreciate it :)

Thank you.

I would have treated every day with anti-biotics because the bacteria grow really fast and can double in numbers every few hours.

At this stage a broad spectrum liquid medication and salt would be the last choice. Look for something with Formaldehyde or Acriflavine and a few other ingredients.

Or just scrap the tank and start again.

I would have treated every day with anti-biotics because the bacteria grow really fast and can double in numbers every few hours.

At this stage a broad spectrum liquid medication and salt would be the last choice. Look for something with Formaldehyde or Acriflavine and a few other ingredients.

Or just scrap the tank and start again.

thank you very much.

acriflavine is very common here, i will go buy one and treat the tank with salt and acriflavine.

should i complete the kanamycin treatment before i treat the tank with acriflavine and salt or should i treat it as soon as possible?

today the last adult female passed away along with 3 other fry.

i saw 2 fry with very big white spot on their body.

should i complete the kanamycin treatment before i treat the tank with acriflavine and salt or should i treat it as soon as possible?
If there are still fish in the tank, do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate, clean the filter and wipe the inside of the glass down.
Refill the tank with dechlorinated water and add the new medication.

A little update on the guppies i have.

All the smaller guppies have passed away, but thankfully the bigger ones survived.

Now out of 50-ish fry i have probably 10-ish bigger fry that survived the disease and the meds.

After they are completely clear of the disease i will set up the tank for their proper home :)

Thank you everyone for the help :)

Most reactions

Back