guppies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The usual techniques if your female refuses to release her babies;
1) Change 20% of the water in her aquarium each day replacing it with dechlorinated water which is as close to the temperature already in the water as possible.
2) Feed your livebearer female good quality food, feed her both flakes but also try and supplement this as much as possible with blood worms or live/frozen brine shrimp, feed her a few of them each day.

I did neither of these and still got lots of babies guess my females are just more cooperative :lol:

Its hard to tell if your guppy is pregnant or just fat without seeing her - any chance you have a picture of her?

The trouble with net breeders is quite often if you don't time it right the female will abort the pregnancy.

<<It's a rather planted tank although I'm waiting for them to really take off, there is quite a lot of cover though.>>

Yep I reckon that will be fine, I'd just leave the females in there this time, when one of them loses her gravid spot/gets a lot thinner suddenly have a good search around for the fry they tend to hide under ornaments. Also note your catfish - if its a corydoras? Will happily munch on fry and if it is a pictus cat then extremely few will survive I'm afraid! :sad: unless you scoop the babies out soon!

I think thats most of the questions answered any more let us know :)

Thanks for the help William.
I've been attempting the water changes but it's been a bit hit and miss lately, and as for the food they all get a variety of stuff....flakes and peas at least once a week, cucumber (hate the stuff so rare), live food when I'm in the vicinity of the shop...so they do get quite a lot. I guess it's just a case of wait and see. I should be able to get a picture of her next week if I remember, which seems to be the problem.
I have 2 plecs and a network catfish. Would they eat the babies?? The only ornaments of any type really is the bogwood in there...
Still, survival of the cleverest and the nippiest right??
Cheers again x

Your network catfish - corydoras - is an opportunistic carnivore and will not turn away a free meal! The plecos should be fine. However with just 1 catfish even if you don't spot the fry for two days ample should survive for you to collect. Patience is perhaps the most important thing with trying to breed livebearers, its like fishing, you may sit out there for hours at a time or you may go out and get one straight away ;) Hang in there!! :)

Thanks very much. Well the original guppy still isn't dropping them, but the other 3 are all getting rather large indeed. They also seem to be constantly pooing. It's quite disturbing. They poo even more than the goldfish and that is, I am sure many will agree, saying something.
I'll keep you all posted anyways.
xx

Thats odd I found my guppies didn't poo too much how much are you feeding them and what food? Just flakes?

Well, I said I'd keep you updated and I am doing. I'm a mummy. But I wish someone would tell them that. I don't know which one of 4 is dropping them cos they all look the same, but I currently have 8 and I know 2 have been eaten. My back is killing me cos I have to stand on a chair to reach the bottom of the tank with the glass. Will someone please inform my guppies that whoever is having their babies could make my life a little easier by KEEPING STILL
Anyway, cuppa break over. Back to work. Oh yeh, and I managed to uproot my plants which have only JUST started to take root. But Im a mummy! First time you see!

Congratulations, they'll probably be more in there somewhere! Feed them 3x a day finely ground up flake or BBS and they'll be 1inch in 2-3 months :)

Hiya
Well regarding the poo, they get flakes mostly, with some live food and veg at some point during the week at least. The catfish poo tons though, and I mean tons, do you think it could be the food??
And while we're talking about it, I've just planted my plants so, do I still have to siphon? Do I do it round them as best I can or can I not just leave it? All the water checks are fine so it can't be doing any harm!
Ok, back to my babies, they're so cute! They're in the little tank on their own now.

Minxnfella said:
Hiya
Well regarding the poo, they get flakes mostly, with some live food and veg at some point during the week at least. The catfish poo tons though, and I mean tons, do you think it could be the food??
And while we're talking about it, I've just planted my plants so, do I still have to siphon? Do I do it round them as best I can or can I not just leave it? All the water checks are fine so it can't be doing any harm!
Ok, back to my babies, they're so cute! They're in the little tank on their own now.
Even with plants you still need to use a gravel vacuum I'm afraid, it takes almost a completely planted tank to stop the need to siphon. Glad to hear your babies are doing well most of them should make it to adulthood under care and supervision just watch out they don't have a cycle in their own tank - use filter media from your existing tank and water and gravel to remove this risk.

Keep us posted babies are cool!! :) ;)

Hiya
Right, thanks for the help. The tank was already cycled before I put them in so they should be ok, but only just, I didn't see any other option.
I'll syphon the tank when I get a chance then. Should be fun, these poor plants.
My babies are great thankyou, they appear to have grown in two days already!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back