guppies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thomas A. Anderson

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all. bought some female guppies today and have kept to a 2:1 ratio.

What do I have to look out for in regard to breeding?

Can I do anything to encourage them?

What signs should I look out for?

Try this CCL: http://fish.orbust.net/livebearers.html , guppies are simple to breed and you'll have lots of fry in no time so long as you keep the adults happy. I'm sure there are things I have not covered in the article and if so let me know and I'll answer them here but it should contain most of the basics for all livebearers breeding. Just keep an eye on the gravid spot if you want to keep some fry and when you think she can't get any bigger unless she bursts you'll know she's about to have some fry! She will also appear almost "square" if viewed from behind.
Good luck with your breeding adventure!

I can see the gravid spot on 3 of my females. One of them is black, and looks 'almost' bursting the other 2 the gravid spot is a reddish colour and not quite as bursting.

What next?

p.s. To my inexperienced eye it seems that the gravid spot is on both sides, is that correct?

yes the gravid spot is visable from both sides of the fish.

The ont that is 'about to burst' should very soon be moved to its breeding/birthing tank or placed in the breeding trap if you want to keep the fry's :)

Help, when I went to sleep one of my females still had a very large stomach, when I woke up although still a little big the stomach has shrunk considerably but I can't see any fry anywhere at all. Is it conceivable that they have all been eaten :-( :sad:

I can still see her gravid spot though not as prominent as before

yes theyve probably been eaten, altho there still maybe the odd 1 or 2 hiding in the tank, u need sharp eyes to spot them tho! :look:

Are there any other signs that she has 'dropped' that I can look out for such as afterbirth or anything like that.

Also, I have 2 more females that are expecting, one sooner than the other judging by the size of her stomach. Should I move that one to the maternity net BEFORE she drops and what are the signs that she is about to drop.

You've had a good look under the rocks/ driftwood/ plants in the tank?

sure have, checked inside the filters too.

Looks like I was too late, strange though as when I fed the fish they were still hungry.

In the meantime I have put one of the fatter females in the birthing net.

creamcheeseandlox,
Patience pays aff. I have been sure that one of my ladies was about to drop and kept her in the breeding net for days without a single fry, then release her to the tank because she looks bored and voila`, she'll have them! I have found that if you pay close attention to when you start finding babies swimming in the tank, transfer Mom to the breeder net and scoop up the babies you can find, you'll soon have way too many guppies.

Good Luck, they are a joy :D

I released her this morning as she was looking bored and also quite thinner. I fear that she may have ingested them due to the stress of being moved :sad: :sad:

Yes it sure sounds like that CCL :( sorry to hear it. Don't worry though because in a month she'll have another batch and hopefully this time she'll be succesful.

I really wanted fry from my platies when I first got them just over a year ago- I am still quite a newbie in some respects- I had added them to my tank and really despite everyone saying oh how easy it is to have the fry I didn't believe it would happen in my tank! Anyway one day I came back to find a tiny red flash being chased under the bogwood, I immediately got out my large net and put the baby in before persuading my mother to go to the fish store, we bought a net breeder and returned home, I placed her into the net breeder and proceeded to search the tank not once not twice but thrice but did not find any more siblings. I was incredibly exited with even one baby the first time it happens it is amazing I still remember seeing the flash and thinking my eyes had tricked me!

Sorry I got carried away there! But just remember that your fish will have fry just be patient :) ;)

Hiya
Right, well I'm finished being patient with one of my guppies.
I got her over a month ago, and I was told she was pregnant. So, I put her in the bredding net because she looked like she was going to explode....and nothing. So, I let her go as she looked so bored....and still nothing a month later. Her tummy went down a little bit, but she still had a really black gravid spot, and then it's gone back up and stayed up and no babies! :angry: I want babies!!!!
It may have been because she was on her own with the male for a while as his friends died then her friends died then I left the tank to settle down for a while after treatments for a poorly catfish and ludicrously high PH. Now I have added some more, another male and 3 more females, 2 of which I believe to be pregnant and growing by the day. Do you think this will make her drop em? I read about doing water changes every day, and so far have managed it twice due to time and energy limitations.
It's a rather planted tank although I'm waiting for them to really take off, there is quite a lot of cover though.
So, any suggestions? IS it just that she's fat?
Any help would be highly appreciated!
Ta in advance!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back