Guppies Tail Ripped & White Patch on Back!

Sasha

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
:sad: What a bad day! This morning I just lost my favorite balloon molly, Mindy. Now, I noticed two of my female guppies have something wrong with them. One of the guppies has a fuzzy white stuff on her back. It looks like she scrached herself only it's white. The other guppy has a split tail, which I believe is fin rot. Her split tail has a little white on the edges. What's going on with my tank! I'm going to move the two guppies into my hospital tank and treat them with Maracyn-Two and hope it works. Is there anything else I should do? What is the white stuff on her back?

It's a fungus. The maracyn-two should heal them. I suggest adding salt and removing the carbon (if you haven't...). Just treat them for the full five days; use melafix if it doesn't fully heal them.

HTH

-_- I just finished moving the guppies into the hospital tank. I added most of the water from the tank that they came from and put in a plastic plant to make them feel more secure. How often should I add the salt? The only problem is that the hospital tank doesn't have a heater. I don't use it very often since most of the fish that are ill die before I have a chance to set it up. Will the absense of a heater cause any problems and affect the guppies? It does have a small filter that doesn't have any carbon. I hoping that the fish would get cured and they both can rejoin the others.

Get a thermometer to check the temp. That way you can warm the water buy doing partial water changes. Should get a thermometer, though. unless you are absolutely sure that the temp won't flux. Warmer temp is better for livebearers, especially when treating. From 78-80 should work.

HTH

I'll be sure to get a thermometer. Could the guppies live without one until tomorrow? When I put the hospital tank away, I can use the thermometer for my new tank.

Guppies are pretty hardy fish, but huge temp changes (around five degrees) cause immense stress and will make the disease worse. It's ok, though. Every few hours, do water changes from the established tank to the hospital tank to ensure proper water temp. This'll ruin the chances for proper medication, but it will keep the fish from getting worse.

HTH

How big is the tank, by the way? Remember, the smaller the tank, the more the temperature fluctuates. Plan accordingly...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back