guppie red gills

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

max22

Reaction score
I've had a guppy about 2-3 weeks, its been seeming fine. It overate due to my error one day so i seperated it into a 3 gal for 2 days without feeding. previously the small hospital tank had some baby platies i was keeping seperate to feed. I have put the guppie back in its main tank and it has super red gills seeming fairly normal but the gills are very red. The other guppie i have is staying in one place in the top of the tank now (weird) but was acting normal earlier. Both guppies are not acting normal. water reads 0 ammonia(test is odd and can be a little green tinted so I plated it safe and did water change added some seachem prime. 0 nitrite 0 nitrate Ph-6.8-7.4 PLEASE HELP I LOVE THEM
(other fish in 10 gal include 2 african dwarf frogs 1 baby platy)

Attachments

• clemintine.jpg
    clemintine.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 206
How long has the tank been set up for?
Have you added anything new to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

The fish either has a bad bacterial infection in the gills or has been exposed to something or been attacked by something.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-------------------------
I don't recommend keeping frogs and fish together because the frogs sometimes attack the fish or vice versa. And if the fish get sick, most medications that are used to treat the fish, will kill the frogs.

If you feed a fish and it eats a lot of food, do not move it. Just leave it be. Fish and other animals can eat a lot of food and they will simply digest it over a few hours. There is no need to move the fish into a different aquarium if it eats too much.

If a lot of food gets put in the tank and is not eaten straight away, remove the uneaten food and do a partial water change to dilute any ammonia produced by that food.

How long has the tank been set up for?
Have you added anything new to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

The fish either has a bad bacterial infection in the gills or has been exposed to something or been attacked by something.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

I don't recommend keeping frogs and fish together because the frogs sometimes attack the fish or vice versa. And if the fish get sick, most medications that are used to treat the fish will kill the frogs.

If you feed a fish and it eats a lot of food, do not move it. Just leave it be. Fish and other animals can eat a lot of food and they will simply digest it over a few hours. There is no need to move the fish into a different aquarium if it eats too much.

If a lot of food gets put in the tank and is not eaten straight away, remove the uneaten food and do a partial water change to dilute any ammonia produced by that food.
thanks, Colin, I have decided to move the 2 guppies from the tank into a 2.2 well-established hospital tank I am adding an API bacteria median that I have used on my betta in the past with great results. I am pretty sure that the 10 gallons they are in already do not have an ammonia problem. I am assuming bacterial I want to add salt as well. Should I dose salt and med or one of the two quick response is appreciated.

I would add the maximum dose of salt for livebearers (see below), and see how the fish looks in a couple of days. If it is no better in a couple of days, then treat it with chemicals/ medication.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.

I would add the maximum dose of salt for livebearers (see below), and see how the fish looks in a couple of days. If it is no better in a couple of days, then treat it with chemicals/ medication.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.
thanks, I moved them into a 2.2 gal and dosed it for 2 gals with 2 heaping half teaspoons. (box instructions). It's a small tank but it is well-cycled hospital tank. will this suffice for 48 hours or do you suggest otherwise? willing to do anything im still pretty new

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back