Growth

SneakBetta

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Do all fish stop growing if they are in a small tank. Example... would a goldfish stop growing if it were in a 1 gallon tank. I don't want to know about goldfish, i just want to know if fish will stop growing when in a small tank.

Ashley :alien:

In a way yes,but that means they would be dead,certainly wouldnt grow anymore then. :(

IMO no fish should be kept in anything less than 10 gallon tanks for a extended period of time,always check that you have the space to cater for the fish you buy and if they grow bigger than you can accomidate then dont buy them.

Hi SneakBetta

Fish will be slower growing in a tank that is too small for them, but given a good diet and claen water, they will out grow the tank.

i think some fish stop growing if they are in a small tank... cause when i bought my bala sharks the guy in the pet store said that i shouldnt worry if my tank isnt that big cause they will just stunt their growth.

Jubb said:
when i bought my bala sharks the guy in the pet store said that i shouldnt worry if my tank isnt that big cause they will just stunt their growth.
That guy deserves a damm good kicking and his livestock licence taken away,no responsable fish shopkeeper should ever recomend deliberatly stunting fish,besides it is rubbish the only way that too smaller tanks inhibit growth is by killing the fish,if you do have those balas and there in anything less than a 55 gallon then do them a favour and return them (not to the shop where you got them) and exchange them for something more suitable like some guppies :angry:

A friend of mine has a Bala Shark in a 29 Gallon tank, and it's about a foot long. I do not think, the size tank stunted it's growth one bit as you can see.

Like some others have said, it may slow their growth, but if they are fed properly, they will eventually grow to their potential.

- kip

I think why some people believe the myth that fish don't outgrow their surroundings is because when put in undersized aquaria, they are usually subjected to terrible water paramaters which will stunt a fish's growth.

Not to mention make them more succeptable to disease from the stress and live a shorter life.

I posed this question to a co-owner of a highly reputable lfs regarding Severum, specifically. Her answer was that some fish release a hormone into the water that restricts their growth. It sounded a little 'fishy' to me... :)

EMdina said:
I posed this question to a co-owner of a highly reputable lfs regarding Severum, specifically. Her answer was that some fish release a hormone into the water that restricts their growth. It sounded a little 'fishy' to me... :)
I studied biochemistry at university and I must have missed that bit :S

It's a myth that fish only grow to the size of the tank - next time I hear that I'm going to scream! :grr:

It's the poor water quality and inadequate diet that stunts their growth. But even that isn't the end of the story - a stunted fish isn't just small on the outside, he'll be under-developed on the inside. He'll have smaller gills, smaller kidneys, smaller liver and smaller heart than he's supposed to, smaller even than they're supposed to be for his size. His immune system will be poorer and his recovery from illness or injury will be impaired. He is unlikely to be able to breed and his normal behaviour may be changed (for instance, goldfish who display stereotypical behaviours such as endless swimming back and forth along the same track, even when placed in a much bigger tank).

Basically, a stunted fish is an unhealthy fish with a much shortened life expectancy. Some people think that's OK - it's only a fish, after all. My view is that deliberately stunting a fish's growth is an act of cruelty. :(

Someone buy that woman a beer :beer:,well said AA :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back