Growing The Boy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CathyG

Fishaholic
Reaction score
A few months ago I posted a pic of this Plec asking for ID. My instincts told me he was a Sailfin, but he was 17 months old at the time I adopted him, and still only a couple of inches in length. I got him in February, and since then (with a little indulgence) he has doubled in size. I do wonder if the difference is because he previously shared a tank with three other Plecs, and now he is the only one? (though not the only bottom feeder)

Just thought I would share the progress! :)

f9c7f728.jpg

345daae8.jpg

25b55a42.jpg

What a stunning fish!! Well done :lol:

I was confused on whether mine was a common or sailfin as well. I've had him for a few months, but the person I got him from said he had him for about 2 years. He is only about 5 inches long and was always kept in a 55 gallon. The previous owner kept the tank "half brackish". He would add aquarium salt to the water weekly. I have no idea why, he just did. So maybe this stunted him? He also had no place to hide. It was just water and gravel. He was around 4 inches when I got him and now he is around 5. So since being in my 120 gallon he has grown. Hope he is healthy otherwise.

Nice plec by the way. :thumbs: :drool:

Thank you, all! I am proud of how he is turning out :) It is easy to see he is a Sailfin now he gets his fin out, lol! When I first got him, he was very shy and nervous and didn't really display. He is still a little shy, but he is also a bit of a poser when it suits, and has learned that if he makes himself look big he gets a whole slice of cucumber to himself! :rofl:

Raechal, I have not heard of salt stunting growth but the general environment, husbandry and tank mates would. I am sure your plec is very healthy now his skin is salt free and he has so much space!

(I had to look a couple of times to check the spelling of your name lol! My daughter is called "Rachael" but I call her Rae ;) )

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back