Growing My Own Mosquitoes...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I would like to feed my fish some mosquito larvae, but I am worried about chemicals. I would just place a bucket of declorinated water outside and wait for like a week. But what happens if they spray for mosquitoes? I know it doesn't kill every single one, but if it did get sprayed and my fish ate the larvae would they die? I am just kind of hesitant to do this..

It depends on what they are spraying, if its pyrethrin then it is a contact killer, in other words it needs to make contact with the pest in order to kill it. If they are using a diesel based spray then it will settle on the water surface and suffocate any creatures relient on surface oxygen ie mosquito wrigglers.

If you want to try grow your own wrigglers put out a container of water in a sheltered spot and once you have seen egg rafts on the water surface I would put some fly screen over the container. That way any wrigglers that miss being caught and fully develop don't get to fly off and become a nuisance.

RyanTheFishGuy64 said:
If you ate a tomato that was sprayed with weed killer would you die?
Good point...

Baccus said:
It depends on what they are spraying, if its pyrethrin then it is a contact killer, in other words it needs to make contact with the pest in order to kill it. If they are using a diesel based spray then it will settle on the water surface and suffocate any creatures relient on surface oxygen ie mosquito wrigglers.

If you want to try grow your own wrigglers put out a container of water in a sheltered spot and once you have seen egg rafts on the water surface I would put some fly screen over the container. That way any wrigglers that miss being caught and fully develop don't get to fly off and become a nuisance.
I have no idea what is sprayed, the city just does it whenever it is needed. We live next to a large water canal and lots of farms so mosquitoes tend to be a large problem. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back