Growing aquarium plants outside

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Danlacey1988

Reaction score
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has had much success growing aquarium plants out side
Currently growing some in a green house in tubs of water
Just wanted to see if anyone had any good advice ? As it's my first time doing it
As I grow all my plants in my aquarium

Attachments

• 20210408_184201.jpg
    20210408_184201.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 101
I would say it’s ok as long as they get plenty of sun and the tubs had a heater. (Or if the weather is always warm and sunny where you live)

Are you dosing any fertilizers?

That set up is pretty cool. ?

That type of greenhouse won't keep the plants very warm, and isn't practical for a greenhouse heater. At the moment with the cold north east winds and snow they will be getting very cold especially at night, which won't do tropical plants much good. I'm assuming you have the same weather in Bristol as we are having in the north east :)

But they should be OK during the summer months.

short answer: put them outside at summer or whenever you DONT need a heater, let them grow and take care of them as @Essjay says, and only move it back when heater is not used

I would say it’s ok as long as they get plenty of sun and the tubs had a heater. (Or if the weather is always warm and sunny where you live)

Are you dosing any fertilizers?

That set up is pretty cool. ?
Yeah I add fertiliser change the Warter same time as I change my fish tanks and refill them with rain water trying to try the natural approach bit still adding ferts I guess

That type of greenhouse won't keep the plants very warm, and isn't practical for a greenhouse heater. At the moment with the cold north east winds and snow they will be getting very cold especially at night, which won't do tropical plants much good. I'm assuming you have the same weather in Bristol as we are having in the north east :)

But they should be OK during the summer months.
So when I put them out there it was nice and warm same as today but last 4 days have been rather cold they seem OK the water lettuce is alright but it does do well in ponds so I'm guessing it can live in the cold the guppy grass is growing but not that fast I'm guessing because of the cold I'm hoping it will warm up now
English weather for you

Two weeks ago we could go outside in summer clothes. This last week, the temperature at night has been around zero. We've woken up the last few mornings with a thin layer of snow. The sun does melt it quickly once it comes up but the night temperatures are just too low for plants which must have tropical temperature. As you say, British weather :rolleyes:

Two weeks ago we could go outside in summer clothes. This last week, the temperature at night has been around zero. We've woken up the last few mornings with a thin layer of snow. The sun does melt it quickly once it comes up but the night temperatures are just too low for plants which must have tropical temperature. As you say, British weather :rolleyes:
Same here in KY. It’s ridiculous how much the weather fluctuates. ?

I know it's crazy hopefully it warms up soon I just hope these plants grow OK as my fish tanks don't have enough room for all the dwarf water lettuce that was in there

My frogbit is the same. I regularly have to throw plants away - usually the old ones that have gone leggy.

My frogbit is the same. I regularly have to throw plants away - usually the old ones that have gone leggy.
dang, i am over here, barely keeping duckweed alive, i will be ultimately sad if i lose one

So the plants are still alive but its not that great roots fall off and then grow back googled it suggests putting a air pump in I'm temped to put a sponge filter in there and cycle it like a aquarium as that's all I'm missing is air grows like crazy in my tank

Don't get me wrong it's growing leaves just doesn't look right

Attachments

• 20210408_181957.jpg
    20210408_181957.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 59
I've added liquid co2 and tropica fertiliser but still the same using rain water aswell to hopefully help it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back