Grow it out or pass on the problem

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought a pleco Xmas time last year and was bought as a bristle nose common pleco at 0.5-1 inch in size , now April this pleco is 3-4 inches and 100% not a bn , I know the markings and the dorsal is telling me it’s not sailfin , this is a common pleco , I knew this after I agreed to take this pleco on my green phantom iv moved to a shallow 2.5 ft for now still being small and moved the common into my 500l(125g) .
I truly believe common plecos has no place in the hobby and should stop being sold but the problem I’m having is do I either grow this fish to 15 inch plus and give to a good large store I know where it will live in a pond with Oscar and pacu or do I move the fish on now while it’s 4 inches making it not my problem but knowing maybe 1 in 10 people have a tank as large as mine to even grow it out to a point where’s it’s not going to be stunted , for once I’m stuck morally and cud do with some advise
Keep or not to keep

A friend of mine bought a pleco Xmas time last year and was bought as a bristle nose common pleco at 0.5-1 inch in size , now April this pleco is 3-4 inches and 100% not a bn , I know the markings and the dorsal is telling me it’s not sailfin , this is a common pleco , I knew this after I agreed to take this pleco on my green phantom iv moved to a shallow 2.5 ft for now still being small and moved the common into my 500l(125g) .
I truly believe common plecos has no place in the hobby and should stop being sold but the problem I’m having is do I either grow this fish to 15 inch plus and give to a good large store I know where it will live in a pond with Oscar and pacu or do I move the fish on now while it’s 4 inches making it not my problem but knowing maybe 1 in 10 people have a tank as large as mine to even grow it out to a point where’s it’s not going to be stunted , for once I’m stuck morally and cud do with some advise
Keep or not to keep
Maybe call around and see if an LFS would be interested in taking it in? I can certainly see the dilemma you’re in, considering how big common Plecos do get.

Always tough when you see fish like this. I have a real soft spot for Feather Fin Synos and you always see them in Maidenheads sumps up at the big end of 9-10 inches and always want to rescue one. One day I probably will when I have a big enough tank again.

Unless you are in that sort of area - even if its a case you would enjoy growing them out - I'd personally try and rehome it as responsibly as you can, they are a big commitment, big waste producer and its the kind of fish that can effect your enjoyment of the hobby and a demotivated owner is the worst thing for a tank IMO.

With summer approaching I might ask a friend to put it in his koi pond but that’s a risky temp solution. Honestly I have a soft spot for pleco and cichlids and don’t want this fish ending up in a 55g not being able to turn around . That’s why I planned to grow it out to the size where nobody wants it . I just don’t think a local fish store would see the problem at the moment it’s 4 inches and would sell it on , I need this fish’s size to scare people so it doesn’t get bought and put in a 55 or even a 125 and I’m not happy that my green phantom has been moved out the tank just in case nothing happened but I don’t want a dead expensive pleco

Try and find someone to take it off your hands, maybe an LFS, maybe someone in your fish community, but long term this guy is a liability.

Most reactions

Back