Grow Fishy Grow!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

§tudz

A True Oddball
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering today about growth rates, in my cory fry I noticed at higher temps they develop faster, is this true with all tropical fish such as livebearers?

It works with cichlids, I don't see why it wouldn't work with corys. I've found that I can adjust the growth rate on a spawn of angels to correspond with the current market. Angels can take a lot of heat, if I jack the heat into the low 90's, feed a high fat & protein diet, and change 50% of the water 3x weekly I can have a spawn up to size in 6-8 weeks. If I lower the temperature to 78, feed lightly, & change less water it takes 12-14 weeks to get them up to size.

I wouldn't suggest a temperature much above the mid 80's for corys, I keep them as a cleanup crew in many tanks, but pull them when I crank up the temperature.

growth rates depends on lots of factors, temp being just one.
if you are raising fish in a higher temp remember that this is speeding up their metabolisum and
therfore they will require much more food.
try combining the high temp with a high protien food such as JMC hiprotein pellets
or jmc catfish pellets.

Water changes are important as well, more water changes faster growth. (In short)

Raisng temperatures will quicken growth but for fish such as guppies, it can shorten their lifespan.

Raisng temperatures will quicken growth but for fish such as guppies, it can shorten their lifespan.

It will shorten their lifespan long term, but for growing out fry it doesn't hurt. The higher temp does raise metabolism, needing more food & more water changes due to the waste that is produced. A good commercial pellet or flake inhanced with vitamins, plus live or frozen foods fed frequently in smaller amounts increases growth. I would try those pellets The-Wolf suggested, I like the Omega One products.

I like to bring the temp down over several days to about 78f before sale, figuring this is probably an average temp found in the end owner's community tank.

The best water quality you can manage; quality flake, frozen and live foods all help.

good water qualtiy, higher temperatures and I've heard that some breeders will use beef heart, but in moderation as it can cause fatty liver disease...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back