Green coating on scales - help with guppies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Brittany K.

Reaction score
Hi! I have two guppies that seem to have what looks like green algae growing on their scales. One is acting normally, while one is sort of lethargic, hanging up in the corner. A third guppy has no green film, but doesn't seem to be swimming well. Just seems weakened.

We'd been having a lot of trouble with our water quality lately. Kept losing ghost shrimp, lost two platys and a snail. Turns out there was tons of ammonia in our tap water. And, I probably was dumping two many chemicals in there to compensate - tons of water conditioner, pH up, etc... (we're new to this!) We switched to a neighbor's well water, and I've done several 50+% water changes in the past week or two. In the process there was probably a pH change and a temp drop or two. Water is stable now. pH is 7.2, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are all 0. But they've all been through the wringer, for sure. I put a double dose of Stress Coat in today.

Any ideas what this looks like? I expected to lose some fish - if not from ammonia poisoning then from all the shock. Want to make sure this isn't contagious.

2019-05-26 13.55.40.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-05-26 13.55.15.jpg
    2019-05-26 13.55.15.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 2019-05-26 13.55.05.jpg
    2019-05-26 13.55.05.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 223
It just looks like colour to me.
There are no fish health issues that cause fish to turn green.

If you have water quality issues you should do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the water is good.

Most reactions

Back