The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CaitlinElla

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have recently purchased this guppy and it was sold to us as a male. As you can see from the photo, it has a large black spot on its belly. Not sure what it could be so I googled and understand female guppies have gravid spots. What do you guys think? Is this male or female? And if male, what could the spot be? Any help will be massively appreciated, thank you!
10CD2715-FB6C-44DC-9DCF-174A29056FBD.png

Hello. This is a male Guppy. The females are much less colorful and quite a bit larger.

10 Tank (Now 11)

Hello. This is a male Guppy. The females are much less colorful and quite a bit larger.

10 Tank (Now 11)
Hiya, thank you so much! The guppy definitely looks male and I was just wanting to check because of the black spot on its belly!

The black spot is part of the skin colouring.
A gravid spot is where the inside of the fish show through the skin.

It's definitely a male guppy, and the black spot just looks like his pattern. I doubt it's anything to be concerned about. Beautiful guppy!

To sex guppies and most other common livebearers, look at the anal (bottom) fin. Males have a long anal fin called a gonopodium. Females have a fan or triangle shaped anal fin.

The spot you're looking at has got nothing to do with a gravid spot nor a pseudo gravid spot. This is just a mark that's part of the pattern of this male. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is a male guppy it is very colorful. The females don’t get so colorful. The dot is just part of his pattern.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back