Gravel Vs Sand For My 10 Gallon.

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
so I picked up myself a 10 gallon+hood/Light+Tetra Whisper 10 Filter for 32 bucks. Sadly they where closing and had everything half priced but I scored a deal out of it at least. I dont have anything set up yet since I lack room at the moment. I plan to downsize some stuff in my room. But while I do that I am pondering what to put into my tank. What I am thinking is:

2 ADF
3 Indian Dwarf Puffer

I know that many have heard that IDP are aggressive there seem to be stories going around when I googled it and it shows that they do well with ADF. I plan to add or upgrade my filter but this should do for now. I have a 75 Gallon filter but that seems a little much (marine land HoB). Lastly I need to grab myself a heater and gravel/sand. I have a large amount of Blue/Black gravel in the garage but I am not sure if it will do well for them. I doubt it since IDP like to bury themselves on sand and may get scratched. I plan to go planted like my previous tanks as well. Also anyone have any suggestions other then IDP/ADF? I have wanted puffer for awhile but still am open to other options. Cichilds would be a second depending on which can fit in there.

EDIT: I may also consider a Figure 8 Puffer with some Bumble Bee Goby.
 
Hi, the tank isnt large enough for figure 8 IMO, but should be ok for 3 DP's, 1m,2f combination. Other than ADF's you could add ottos as they do well with DP's although they should be added before the DP's or at least the same time, once the DP's are established they wont take kindly to new inhabitants.

Sand would be the best substrate for them, as anything sharp will cut them as they have delicate skin. Heavily planted would also be best as it allows them to establish themselves and lessens any line of sight issues as Dp's will be aggressive with each other.
 
cool, since I have 2 Oto's as is I will move them into the tank making my 5 Gallon there have some extra room. I may even try a combination or 2 IDP+2 Oto+1-2 ADF since I have everything but the IDP present in my 2 5 gallons.
 
Silver sand should be good, the puffers will like it if they like to bury, not to mention it'll be easier to set up plants.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top