gravel cleaner

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fly258

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone recomend a good gravel cleaner with a built in filter unit?
The syphon type I currently use is ok but I dont have enough time to clean the gravel properly before the water level reaches the water change level. What I would like idealy, is a small water pump with a filter built in so I can "hoover" the gravel and the filtered water goes back into the tank. I could clean the gravel at any time without having to wait for a water change.
Many thanks
Jim

Marineland makes a small canister filter called the HOT filter. HOT = Hang On Tank filter. It's a canister that is made to hang on the back of the tank!!

With this filter you can purchase a gravel cleaning kit so when you do water changes you simply hook up the kit to the filter, clean your gravel, then do your regular water change with your siphon hose!!

I recommend buying extra filter cartridges for when you clean the gravel though. If you don't you will have to change the filter cartridge and then you will be losing your bacteria colony.

These really are great little filters, I have one and it works great. It can also be used as a diatom filter for polishing the water.

CM

Hi CM.
"It can also be used as a diatom filter for polishing the water."
I'm intrigued :S please explain. The filter sounds good, I'll have to get one..........if they sell them here (UK) or something similar.
Regards
Jim

Hi Fly,

There are a few gravel cleaners on the market some battery operated I think PFK did an artical on them a while back.

The online shop I use only seems to stock one at the moment and not the one I was thinking of... ;)
though it looks quite good and maybe what your after

click here

maybe someone else has used this one???

:)

Here are a few links to explain....

Diatom Filter

This one is an overview of the H.O.T canister filter...

H.O.T. Canister Filter

HTH...if you need any further info, just let me know!!!

In addition...you do not need to use diatom powder (diatomaceous earth) to get the benefits of the H.O.T. filter. It uses a pleated filter cartrtidge instead of a screen. It will however become glogged as well and need to be cleaned.

CM

cm - I got another question :rolleyes:

with the 2 products you mention can you still use a canopie/hood on the tank???

I like the idea of the bio-wheels but they seem rather bulky to be sitting on the tank???

:)

The H.O.T. filter sits on the back of the tank just as any HOB filter would.

I guess the answer to your question would be...it depends on how the canopy/hood is made.

When you say hood/canopy are you refering to a regular top or a hood that covers the whole top of the aquarium??

The diatom filter is not for everyday use, it is for quick clean ups, while the H.O.T. filter can be used as a regular canister filter.

CM

:)Underworld do a powered cleaner but I'm not sure if it returns the water to the tank.
I used to have a cleaner powered by an air pump which had a bag attached and didn't remove any water.
Trouble is I can't remember the maker :( Try your lfs and see what they've got in stock. B) Mac.

PGR 1000 Power Gravel Cleaner
Ive just received the above from Aquatics Online and its excellent. I can recommend it to anyone for cleaning gravel without having to do a water change. Thanks for the link WWW :) .
I had to cut a section from the rear of the canopy so it could hang on the back of the tank but it was well worth it.
Regards
Jim

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back