Gouramis with swordtails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Herpin Man

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I’m considering putting Swordtails in a tank with an opaline gourami. Thoughts? Anything I should consider first?

In addition to Colin's advice, be careful with Opaline Gourami. This is a variety of the species Trichopodus trichopterus (varieties include Blue, Gold, Cosby, Opaline, 3-spot, marble) and this is one of the most aggressive of the medium-sized gourami. Even a female has been known to kill other fish (non-gourami) in some members' tanks.

Swordtails can sometimes be feisty too.

Last edited:
Hi, What type of Gourami do you have? My Pearls are quite peaceful, community fish and would not be the aggressor in this combination. Like Byron said, I have heard swordtails can be on the tough side. So, I probably wouldn't combine an aggressive Gourami with them.

In addition to Colin's advice, bee careful with Opaline Gourami. This is a variety of the species Trichopodus trichopterus (varieties include Ble, Gold, Cosby, Opaline, 3-spot, marble) and this is one of the most aggressive of the medium-sized gourami. Even a female has been known to kill other fish (non-gourami) in some members' tanks.

Swordtails can sometimes be feisty too.
+1 to the above...I rescued a 3 spot gourami from an abandoned tank, years ago, and wish I hadn't...never actually witnessed much aggression, but had many fish mysteriously disappear in the following months...and the addition of the 3 spot was the only thing that had changed in the tank...not a good community fish

Three Spots can be undoubtedly aggressive fish, though I find they are often kept in not so ideal conditions, too small of a tank, too few in number etc... which would lead to issues with a lot of different species when kept like this.
I suppose their size plays a part in how much damage they can cause in the average community.
Gouramis naturally occur in soft water (GH below 100ppm) with a pH below 7.0.
Three Spots are one of the most hardy out there adapting to varying conditions in the wild, they are even somewhat considered invasive because of this. Still I do think it is better to err towards keeping them in softer water personally.

Three Spots can be undoubtedly aggressive fish, though I find they are often kept in not so ideal conditions, too small of a tank, too few in number etc... which would lead to issues with a lot of different species when kept like this.

This is certainly true. Most members asking/posting about this gourami species (in any of the varieties) frequently have them in the wrong conditions. And aggressive behaviour is the most common result from inappropriate environmental conditions, no question. However, there is also the fact that this species seems to have the genetic makeup for a higher level of natural aggressiveness, even in somewhat ideal environmental conditions by comparison.

This is certainly true. Most members asking/posting about this gourami species (in any of the varieties) frequently have them in the wrong conditions. And aggressive behaviour is the most common result from inappropriate environmental conditions, no question. However, there is also the fact that this species seems to have the genetic makeup for a higher level of natural aggressiveness, even in somewhat ideal environmental conditions by comparison.
I definitely agree here. When comparing them to other species within the genus, they top the list in terms of aggression.

Most reactions

trending

Back