GOURAMIS IN DISTRESS?

justupgraded15

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been setting up my early Christmas present I got in mid November and I have a problem. I had six fish 2 Platies (died of fungus) :eek: , and a pictus and cory cat which both got ich in a isolation tank :( . My two bue gouramis seemed to be doing fine for a few weeks and then one of them got little white spots on its side fins. Now it has about 3 on its side (body) and its bottom fin looks ragged and white :( . Other than the physical look, it is swimming actively and has its appetite. It has not gotton worse or better for 3 weeks. The aquarium is still cycling (in the nitrite stage) and I do not want to medicate it because it can kill the bacteria. Should I buy a UV sterilizer or something.

Water and tank info
Size-29 gal
Filtration- under gravel + Aqua Clear 200 Power filter
Aeration-1 4 in airstone and alligator decoration
Current treatment- 1 tbsp aquarium salt per day
Water Changes- 30% per month (last one on 12/20)
Temp- 78-80
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-.75

What should I do here :blink: ? I have heard that UV sterilizers are great. Would that be a good investment?
Please help me out.

It seems you have had a series of issue, sorry to hear that.

Your cycling with fish? ā€“ if so this will make them more susceptible to infection, because their natural immune system is weaken.

You have mentioned an isolation tank ā€“ that is a great investment, I would have suggested one of those prior to a purcheasing a UV filter. However have you cross contaminated the tanks? May be using the same net? Also do all you fish come from the same shop.

I have never had Ich, however I do keep a bottle of ich treatment in my fish cabinet. I would raise the temp to just over 80 and treat for ich. Keep that air stone on ā€“ treatments and temp will reduce the oxygen further. I would also consider treating them in the isolation (now hospital tank :( ā€“ and let your main thank cycle fully. IMO salt is a great treatment for poorly fish.

(clean the isolation tank again) take some filter material form you old one and do daily 10% water changes. reduce the feeding.

On your main tank ā€“ do you have live plants? Even if you have I would change 10/15% of the water every 1week - 2week at least. Also do decolourant the water? I didnā€™t when I first started. Every one takes it for granted that you will. I lost a lot fish due to that within 3 week (long and slow) not very nice.

Now UV filters I have one and after reading a lot and I mean a lot, I would suggest if you can afford one ā€“ Get one. But please this is not a instant fix to you current problem, UV will only kill ich if A. it comes into the UV filter and B it stays in the filter long another to kill it (water flow rates Vs UV wattage are critical here). Ich stays on the fish ā€“ it may also fall to the ground or stay on plants your new uv filter will never kill them ones.

IMO uv filter help reduce the chance of ich getting hold of tank, good water condition and an isolation tank are by far the best method to keep ich at bay.

On the good side ich is very treatable ā€“ raise that temp and treat ASAP.

Sorry for going on, however if you want any more help or clarification please just ask Iā€™m sure we all can help

Cya
Jason

Thanks Ob1.
The isolation tank I am talking about is actually a 2.5 gallon mini bow which I keep 2 goldfish in. When the cats got sick I took the goldfish out and but them in because it was already cycled. (I took the goldfish out and into bowls) When I took the cats back to Petco, a serious mistake, I sterilized the 2.5 gal and put the goldfish back in. I plan to buy a 10 gallon pretty soon for the goldfish so the 2.5 can be a commited isolation/hosipital/quarantine tank. No, I do not have live plants and the water is crystal clear. Yes, I always dechlorinate the water. What type of UV sterilizer do you reccomend. I'd like one in the 80-120 dollar range.

I forgot to say that I got the six fish all from Petco. I believe they came with the diseases and I intend not to buy fish from them again. I am working with the aquarium shop where I purchased the tank for fish now. I guess I was just excited and got in a bit of a hurry. :fun:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back