gourami's and cichlids.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steppy104

Grarr
Reaction score
my 37gal tank has 1 7" catfish, 5 goldfish (small), 1 5" pleco, 1 gourami, and 2 cichlids......

do gourami's and cichilds fight, or are they good tank mates?

and would it be too risky to try out a betta?

dwarfs, lighten up a bit. :blink:

I've never owned cichlids so I'm unable to comment on their compatibility with other fish. I've read it's best to keep a strict cichlid tank and not house them with other kinds of fish. The best way to learn about these things is through personal experience. I've read so many things about certain fish that just didn't apply to those that I kept. Each fish is different, just like people. It's hard to predict the outcome of each situation. Hopefully someone with experience will post their opinion. Maybe even dwarfs can offer advice once he/she gets the necessary information. ;)

lol...the only information i have on my fish is how they look. heres why:
my friend didn't want their tank and gave it to us. she was not sure wut the *other* fish was (gourami)...so i'm only calling my gourami neon, cuz thats wut it most looks like...i may still be wrong, but it looks really similar in colors and shape. the cichlids, i only know are cichlids because the person i bought them from said they were (i'm hoping she know's her fish). they weren't in a labeled tank because they came in with the goldfish, and were sold to me for 15 cent like the goldfish.

wow...i worded this really badly...goodluck on understanding!

well.. if those cichlids are not dwarf cichlids, then chances are, they are still juvies...

if you are really intent on putting your gourami in the same tank, then now is the best time to do so.

most people WILL tell you that cichlid tanks should only be a cichlid tank, but as bangin said, you never really know till you find out for yourself.

is there any way to tell the difference between a young, and a dwarf cichlid?

they're already in the same tank...but someone told me that cichlids are extremely aggresive. so i thought it was wierd when every once and a while i'll see the gourami and cichlids chillin together...it looks like they group up almost.

and this person also told me that cichlids are more aggresive than gourami's. but the cichlids ignore the gold fish, and the gourami chases them. lol...next time this person tell's me something, i'm going to expect the opposite. :S

or maybe she doesn't know anything about fish at all? cuz she told me that NOTHING can go with betta's. everything she says, she makes it sound like it goes for EVERY fish. her confidence annoys me :X. i can't believe she works in the pet department.

It really does depend on what kind of cichlids they are :/ Any way that you can post a pic? I think the only possible cichlid tankmates would be very small julies or rams, everything else gets pretty large.

A lot of cichlids will be peaceful as juvenilles, then they hit an age where they have a growth spurt and become extremely territorial.

i keep three of them with my red devil, jag and flowhorn, they dont even get chased, only every now and then, i put them in there so they can kill them, but they like them it looks like, i wouldnt put a beta with tho, thats muder for sure.

think its a bad idea until you know what youre doing. you might have gotten a young docile midas that will snap eventually....TRUST ME IT WILL KILL TANKMATES. so i guess you can experiment, just dont be surprised if the cichlid loses control one day. Vip, how big are those and how big of a tank?

steppy104 said:
and this person also told me that cichlids are more aggresive than gourami's. but the cichlids ignore the gold fish, and the gourami chases them. lol...next time this person tell's me something, i'm going to expect the opposite. :S
youre keeping gouramis with goldfish?

Hi this is Vip's girlfriend. I think the best way to see what fish goes with is personall experience!! except for the obious like not putting fighters with a red devils etc etc ( or you could if you want him with a full tummy lol). So called " fish experts" said we couldnt put a ghost knife with a oscar, were as our ghost and oscar have been in the same tank for nearly a year!!! You cant put a ghost and an elephant nose together because they dont get along, were as our two were together for ages. Dont put red devils with other smaller fish lol our red devil is surrounded by fish smaller then him. I suppose its like chucking a small dog with a big dog of course the big dog is going to be dominant, but if they grew up together since they were young they wouldnt fight.
So i say dont listen so much to others experience. If it means some fish have to be gobbled lol at least your learning yourself. There has been many times where they said to us " No they wont get along, and dont put them in their or they will die" and its been crap because their swimming together as we speak. :D
Anyway i hope i was "some" help, if not tell me to shut up!!! :crazy: and good luck!

NICI....... :*

I have two of them ex-amp, my realy nut case one is in a 125g with a bunch of africans, there is no way of cleaning this tank or putting your hand in without him attacking you and looseing control...
My other on is in a 90g with a jag, flowerhorn, and a 18" black shark! this one is really peaveful, it never attacks never bites any other fish..
As my g/f said, its just a risk, but is it a risk you want to take?? do you really want to loose your fish over a idea that most people are telling you that it might not work?? dunno dude its up to you!

Ex-amp 90g fish size: Red Devil 8" jag 7" flowerhorn 5"
The flowerhorn, just bugs them really. and lets face it, if they wanted to kill them, i think they already would of by now.. the G's are all about 3" with one silver one being about the 5" mark. And all these guys were in the tank with my nut case red devil as well at one point of time, but i had to take them out because he just kills and kills and kills when ver he gets the chance

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back