Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gourami lying on the bottom

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by Whales7, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Whales7

Whales7 New Member

Hi all,

My golden gourami has been living in my dad’s tank for a while now, almost a year. (I raised him in a twenty gallon and he moved to the sixty when he got bigger). He lives with some angels and discus and my comet goldfish as well, who are all healthy. Recently for the past couple of weeks I noticed he is spending all his time lying on the bottom. He looks fine to me and when I approach the glass he gets up and swims for a bit and then lies back down. I’ve noticed he is swimming laboriously (although not for lack of energy) like his bottom fins don’t function quite right. They are kind of tinged dark brown at the bottom. His head is always higher than his tail and he has to wiggle his whole body to swim. I feel like if he tried he couldn’t simply drift near the surface and would just sink. But he is not breathing heavily and eats normally, so I don’t know what is wrong. He used to have fish to pick on in his old tank but now he can’t, too.

Attached Files:

2. Whales7

Whales7 New Member

Picture of him swimming

Attached Files:

3. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

can you post a short video of the fish swimming?

4. Whales7

Whales7 New Member

It says the file does not have an allowed extension so I linked the videos on YouTube.

5. Jan Cavalieri

Jan Cavalieri Fish Crazy
    Pet of the Month Winner!

He looks pretty normal to me. Gourami's don't usually move fast unless they have to.

Is this a heated tank? If not, what is the temperature? Cold fish move slow.

6. Whales7

Whales7 New Member

The temperature is 26 degrees Celsius and all the other fish are swimming fine. Is he just doing that because he is lazy/depressed? I would say he spends a good 80% of his time lying against the glass (from my observations during the day)