Gourami Breeding Setup

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Syrfish

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I am new to this forum and new to the hobby in general. I need help in the setup of my tank for Gourami Breeding. I have a 60 Liter tank 60 cm long and half filled with water to about 15 cm deep. I have the heater setup for 28 degrees C. No filter running and no lights turned on. I have a couple of plants, rocks and drift wood for decoration. Under one leaf of one of the plants already a bubble nest was formed today. I have been feeding the Gourami couple with frozen bloodworms chopped up. My question is: How long I can leave them in this tank without a filter?

Um, since the tank is quite understood and you also have plants getting rid of ammonia, I would say that you can leave it a bit. Maybe a day or two, then do a little water change of you can.

I've never bred Gourami before, so I don't know if that will affect the bubblenest.

Thanks TekFish :) Well the plants I have are fake plants, I have some live plants I can put there but i was not sure if that is a good idea without lights in the tank. Plus if I do water changes i would disturb the bubble nest. I have a sponge filter to use later after the eggs hatch for the fry. But I am just worried about the parents. How long they can survive in the current setup so I would like to hear from someone who have a little experience breeding the Gold Gouramis.

Here are some pics I just took of my setup:
DSCN0063.JPG
DSCN0066.JPG
DSCN0072.JPG

It looks like the female got a good beating last night. Here are some pics of her. She is hiding from the male right now. Any thoughts?
IMG_8261.JPG
IMG_8262.JPG
IMG_8263.JPG

I've never spawned gouramis either but they are similar to bettas. I say if she doesn't give in to the male's pestering soon then I would take her out, let her recover for a a week or so then try again. She might not be ready so spawn yet.

I'm having the same trouble with my bettas, the male tore up the female and she was acting as though she was going to die, but now I've separated them she is acting very spunky and pretty normal other than looking tattered.

Ah ok. Thank you Demeter for your reply. I guess I should take her out and move back to my community tank. But, back to my original question. How long can the couple survive in the breeding tank without a filter? Any ideas?

Survive or be healthy? You won't want to keep both of them in there for more than ehh say a week. Ideally, you want the breeding to take one day, then the father cares for the fry for 2-3 days, and then he is removed when they are free swimming and an established sponge filter is added. At least that's how it is for bettas, but I assume it's similar for the gouramis. Adding live plants will go a long way to survival rates for the fry though. If you can find a lot of java moss or water sprite that would be great.

Does the female show finrot ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

DoubleDutch, you can see her fin in the pic above. Not rot but chopped off.

Demeter, Ok great thanks. Right now they were there for two days only and it does not look like the female was ready. So, I took her back to my big tank. For the fry I do have lots of live plants I can add them in later when I put in the sponge filter thats not a problem. This was just a temporary setup for the mating process.

To DoubleDutch: Here is an update on my female Gourami :(
Yesterday I noticed finrot on the female so I isolated her in a small tank and filled her water with anti bacteria solution. Hoping that her finrot will heal. Here a couple of pics were taken yesterday. I still do not see any improvements on her. Any suggestions?
IMG_8283.JPG
IMG_8284.JPG

What med are you using?
After the infection is gone the fin has to grow back. Untill then you'll not notice anything I am afraid (only it doesn't degenerate any further : is this English?)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

It is Sera medicine against mouth and fin rot and bacterial infections. Unfortunately i was a little late getting the medicine for her. It has degenerated too far before I started her on the medication. She passed this morning. :(
IMG_8327.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back