The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I was able to order some Barclaya Longifolia through my supplier.
They are mature plants, not bulbs.
It's my understanding that these are quite rare and uncommon nowadays.
I was hoping to get some advice on the best way to multiply these plants.
Also, how much do these typically sell for?

They started to show up in the UK about 2 years ago and the bulbs with a few leaves on were about £25 each. They are down to about £9 each now so still quite expensive. Aquafleur did an amazing tank with just a bed of these and they got them really really pink. Not a clue how to grow or divide them though, I never have much luck with bulbs.

Wills

They started to show up in the UK about 2 years ago and the bulbs with a few leaves on were about £25 each. They are down to about £9 each now so still quite expensive. Aquafleur did an amazing tank with just a bed of these and they got them really really pink. Not a clue how to grow or divide them though, I never have much luck with bulbs.

Wills
Good to know.
Do you know if you can get solid bright colors without co2?

They’ve always been available - they were on our uk lists in the 80s and 90s, but nobody wanted them because they were quite expensive for a dormant bulb. I found them very easy to grow with bright lighting, but the leaves are very thin and fragile, and algae destroys them very easily.

They were pink without CO2, but may be even better with it, I don’t know. They were easy to grow low tech, but the algae….. I’ve never done high tech, so maybe with CO2 they’ll be more algae resistant.

Last edited:
They’ve always been available - they were on our uk lists in the 80s and 90s, but nobody wanted them because they were quite expensive for a dormant bulb. I found them very easy to grow with bright lighting, but the leaves are very thin and fragile, and algae destroys them very easily.
Were you able to multiply them at all?

I think its the light that dictates how bright they get - possibly some fertilisers that will make the difference too, some people say iron to get extra reds.

No, the algae killed them. Or was it the low tech that made them vulnerable? I edited that post to say that in a high tech set up they’d probably grow better and be more resistant(?)
Thanks for the information.
I think its the light that dictates how bright they get - possibly some fertilisers that will make the difference too, some people say iron to get extra reds.
Good to know. I guess I'll have to see if I can keep them healthy, and then they should multiply I hope.

I'm not sure they live that long - i have a book that describes them but it wasn't clear to me if they go dormant or are annualish.
-
I've had mix success with them - definitely need a lot of light and too much shading will repress them. The problem with a lot of these bulb plants is they have funny requirements due to wet/dry seasons in their native habitats.

Thanks for the information.

Good to know. I guess I'll have to see if I can keep them healthy, and then they should multiply I hope.
overhere I saw a listing at petco for around 10 plants of tissue culture B. long...
I searched online, and the best method is seed propagation. You probably know more than I do, but I have some experience with the Giant Water Plantain. I got the dried seeds from the stem, and put them into mud. After a cold season, the seeds began to sprout.
but I reckon if you just put it in a sand/mud tray indoors, it would work just as well.
make sure to handpollinate the flowers as there are no insects inside that help

In his book Encylopedia of Aquarium Plants, British author Peter Hiscock has this on Barclaya longifolia:
"The plant is demanding and requires soft water with plenty of nutrients, both in the substrate and in the water. High oxygen levels may cause it to deteriorate quickly."

Christel Kasselman in her book Aquarium Plants has similar:
A magnificent and demanding but recommendable aquarium plant which is best maintained in soft to medium-hard, acid water at temperatures of 25-28C. Also recommended is a nutrient-rich substrate (clay additive). Light is less important but the plants must not be placed in too dark a location. The tender leaves are a welcome food for snails, so care must be taken. After a period of good growth and ample flowering, Barclaya will usually retreat in development, but will grow again after a few weeks. Under good cultivation conditions a plant may survive several of such periods; new plants should nevertheless again be reared from seeds.

In his book Encylopedia of Aquarium Plants, British author Peter Hiscock has this on Barclaya longifolia:
"The plant is demanding and requires soft water with plenty of nutrients, both in the substrate and in the water. High oxygen levels may cause it to deteriorate quickly."

A magnificent and demanding but recommendable aquarium plant which is best maintained in soft to medium-hard, acid water at temperatures of 25-28C. Also recommended is a nutrient-rich substrate (clay additive). Light is less important but the plants must not be placed in too dark a location. The tender leaves are a welcome food for snails, so care must be taken. After a period of good growth and ample flowering, Barclaya will usually retreat in development, but will grow again after a few weeks. Under good cultivation conditions a plant may survive several of such periods; new plants should nevertheless again be reared from seeds.
That's very helpful.
Thank you, @Byron.

I have the 2nd book and it was her book about requiring to be replanted from seeds - she didn't really say how long a period was - the thing i never understood is that i've seen pictures of the plant in native habitat where it is huge and it would seem it took more than a single season to get that large but maybe not.

I can add this from Aquarium Plants… by Rataj and Horeman, 1977.

“A solitary flower which opens on the surface of the water is formed on the scape. Flowers are self fertile and are pollinated even if the flower never reaches the surface or fails to open (this is the general rule in aquariums).
Barclaya requires a fairly rich soil without too much lime, soft water and sufficient light. It thrives best in aquariums with illumination coming from above. The fine leaves are easily damaged by snails and fish and the plant is consequently not suitable for aquariums that are well stocked with fish.
It is exacting with respect to the temperature which is the greatest drawback, requiring 77 to 86 F (25 to 30 C) to flower and produce seeds. For growth Barclaya needs a minimum of 68 F (20 C). The plant does not thrive at lower temperatures and generally dies at 59 F (15 C).

(a scape is a flower stalk/stem).

the thing i never understood is that i've seen pictures of the plant in native habitat where it is huge and it would seem it took more than a single season to get that large but maybe not.

I imagine them being similar to terrestrial bulbs/corms. The whole point of a bulb or corm is to store energy during a period of die-back. We’re talking about the water lily family. Most have this dormant period. Ondinea purpurea is very similar to Barclaya and is dry for 5-7 months every year (Aquarium Plants…). Barclaya is fully aquatic but so are most of the water lilies, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t come back after a dormant period, and of course be bigger every year.
It may need certain conditions during its dormancy. The water lily family in general needs cold or dry or damp conditions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back