Got new fish again LOL

sandyd

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just got back from the pet store with 2 new swordtails. Carrot is a girl and very very pregnant. The same color as a carrot she is. :lol: Also got her a boyfriend who is mostly whitish with an orange stripe down his body. Kids named him Orange. :D Ok here is my question, Carrot is very pregnant and is in a net and Orange is swimming in the tank happily. He is very shy and i was wondering if i should worry about him being in there with black skirt tetras and head and tail light tetras since they are nippers and he does have that long sword. There are also a couple of guppies in there. I have to say i never realized how much bigger they are than guppies until i put them in the tank. She is twice the size of my guppy girls, should i be concerned about that? I know i should have done more research on them before i brought them home, but they were playing with me at the store so i had to get them. :*) Any replies would be great thanks. Sandy

Ok here is my question, Carrot is very pregnant and is in a net and Orange is swimming in the tank happily. He is very shy and i was wondering if i should worry about him being in there with black skirt tetras and head and tail light tetras since they are nippers and he does have that long sword. There are also a couple of guppies in there. I have to say i never realized how much bigger they are than guppies until i put them in the tank. She is twice the size of my guppy girls, should i be concerned about that?

I wouldn't worry about him being in with the tetras, if you have male guppies with their fancy tails in there then he should do fine. Yep swordtails are quite a bit bigger than guppies, slightly bigger than platies but not quite as big as mollies. I wouldn't worry about the size difference at all, only trouble is you'll have less of your guppy fry surviving if they are born in the tank :)

Congrats on the new additions :thumbs:

William,
Thanks for the reply. My guppies are on a schedule, might be crazy but since i can tell them apart, about ever 26 - 30 days i put one in the breeder trap. I wrote them on the callender so i can keep track. I have 14 fry now, and 1 in the net.
Carrot is in another net as she is so big i did not watn to freak her out by putting her in the little box breeder i have. It is ok for guppies, but she would not have alot of rroom since she is so big.
If i keep this up soon i will be overrun with little fry. Will just need another few tanks for all of them. Hubby should love that. :rolleyes: My birthday is coming up and i have been hinting for a new tank. May just have to go out and get it myself and tell him thankyou for the great present. LOL I think a new 55 gallon should be big enough for all of these fry dont you? Hint hint. Then they will have enough room to grow happily.
Sandy

sandyd said:
If i keep this up soon i will be overrun with little fry. Will just need another few tanks for all of them. Hubby should love that. :rolleyes: My birthday is coming up and i have been hinting for a new tank. May just have to go out and get it myself and tell him thankyou for the great present. LOL I think a new 55 gallon should be big enough for all of these fry dont you? Hint hint. Then they will have enough room to grow happily.
Sandy
Yeah thats the trouble with livebearers, right now I've still got a batch of about 20 young ones swimming around :) .

A 20 gallon is perfect for a grow tank, but since you obviously want a 55 :D Show your husband the next few lines...

Well you'll definately need a 55 gallon Minimum!! In fact I would recommend at least 100 gallons but you can probably just about get away with a 55 gallon, besides there is no point in just having to buy two or 3 tanks to make up the 55 gallon minimum - much more space effective and cost effective this way!!

Okay so did that work :p Obviously within the limits the great space the fry have and with other things being in excess they will tend to grow faster in tanks with more space. This difference isn't huge but is there, eg a group of babies in a 55 and a 10 gallon the 55 gallon ones will reach adult size sooner. :)

I'm really jealous of you if you are getting a 55 gallon tank!! Only one thing - corydoras catfish may seem like a nice addition to hoover the bottom and eat the uneaten fish food but watch out!! They'll eat quite a few of your fry I'm afraid as I found out a few months ago :)

William,
Thanks for the info, i will let him know that it is better for them to be in the big tank. LOL Although if i do get the 55, i could got more fish which is what he does not want. LOL Will have to get a few to help with the cycling though. LOL We talked about it last night and he said that there is still a few weeks before my birthday, so we will see. I tried to tell him about cycling and then it may be ready for some fish by my birthday, but he thought that was funny. I moved the livingroom around and now there is an empty wall. Just in case. LOL

I told him that in the paper there is someone selling a 125 gallon with everything, including stand and all accessories, i think for about $400.00 we will see. I think a 125 gallon would look good in the livingroom, then i could split it and use it for most of the fish i have now. LOL

I will let you know what happens, he might just start to like this after all. I may have to remind him who gave birth to the kids and takes care of them and him from day to day. LOL
Sandy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back