got me some black skirts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Is that body length or including fins
I always prefer to go by total length including fins, personally. But even so, this girl is big, 2.5" in the body

Hey all,
Went to my LFS and got 8 nice healthy looking black skirts, and 4 new peppered corydoras. That brings me up to 7 corydoras in total. Super stoked, and will post pictures tomorrow once the lights are back on!
Have you ever lost several from that mysterious toxin corys produce when stressed? is there anything that could be done?

Have you ever lost several from that mysterious toxin corys produce when stressed? is there anything that could be done?
I've only ever lost one cory, but one of the ones I got looks a little unhealthy :(. I've heard of the toxin, but never encountered it myself. You can probably keep it down by WC.

All fish are looking very good. After 3 days of once a day feedings, all of the corydoras have put on weight and look stronger. The tetras also look a little thicker, and are far more active than they were the first day. Water parameters are all good.

IF had to place money down on hardiest Tetra? It would the Black Skirts. I've got two..pink!..that I bought thinking (wrongly) that the granddaughter would gush over them. Well,she thought they were ok,and since then for near two years I have these gaudy two fish. Neither has ever had a speck of any illness when other species of tetra came and went.
Pink,long fins..and just go on looking good and healthy every day.
I know many years ago reading about Black Skirts living to be 16 years old. Might be.

I've read that corydoras treated with garlic extract (1 teaspoon per 10 gallons tank water) have recovered from their self poisoning

I've read that corydoras treated with garlic extract (1 teaspoon per 10 gallons tank water) have recovered from their self poisoning
Tell me more...I had purchased two who swam in an isolation tank after being acclimated. the first died in 12 hours and the second within the following 24 hours! so sad

Eek... I was gonna add 5/6 to my tank but bit bet it's now :/
It's so rare that it happens. It must be a defence of absolute last resort to them, or it would happen way more often.

If it reassures you at all, I heard Cory from Aquarium Co Op talk about how he's never seen it happen, and he must have imported millions of corydoras over the years, including wild caught ones. For how common cories are in the hobby, and this self poisoning thing being so little known, it clearly happens so rarely, you really don't need to worry about it.

@NCaquatics do your gold/white skirts mix with your black skirts? Seems like they kind of separate, even though they are technically the same fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back