got me some black skirts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Black skirts look phenomenal in blackwater.

Great tetras, I love them. Though expect some bickering amongst themselves for the first week or so, it will settle down as they settle in their new home. These tetras do set out a hierarchy system. After they settle it, they will mostly be all talk with their aggression after.

Keeping skirt tetras happy and peaceful list:

Group of 6 or more ✔
Given lots of room ✔
Tall plants/driftwood structures ✔

I moved my retiring group to my 46 blackwater and they look darned good in the blackwater environment, so I second picking up some plain rooibos tea and making up a fresh batch each water change :D that's what I do.

Ive got black, white, and a single glofish one (husband brought that one home at the kids request lol)
20201004_184609.jpg

That said, corydoras paleatus are not a blackwater corydoras, but they will still happily enjoy it and look good too.

Black skirts look phenomenal in blackwater.

Great tetras, I love them. Though expect some bickering amongst themselves for the first week or so, it will settle down as they settle in their new home. These tetras do set out a hierarchy system. After they settle it, they will mostly be all talk with their aggression after.

Keeping skirt tetras happy and peaceful list:

Group of 6 or more ✔
Given lots of room ✔
Tall plants/driftwood structures ✔

I moved my retiring group to my 46 blackwater and they look darned good in the blackwater environment, so I second picking up some plain rooibos tea and making up a fresh batch each water change :D that's what I do.

Ive got black, white, and a single glofish one (husband brought that one home at the kids request lol)
View attachment 118716

That said, corydoras paleatus are not a blackwater corydoras, but they will still happily enjoy it and look good too.
Well the checklist is all checked, I would like to get 4 more and have 12. Will that disrupt the hierarchy? How do I do the tea? Do I put the tea stuff in with the WC or do I actually make tea and add it to the WC.

How big is your tank? Skirt tetras grow fairly large..like 3 inches or so.
Maybe you can enter a future Tank of the Month contest or if the tank is 17 to 30 gallons, you can enter the present one.

How big is your tank? Skirt tetras grow fairly large..like 3 inches or so.
Maybe you can enter a future Tank of the Month contest or if the tank is 17 to 30 gallons, you can enter the present one.
Yea I have a 30 gallon. It's kind of not nice looking right now, my driftwood is being waterlogged and I'm redoing the hardscape. If I finish in 2 days I'll be sure to join ;).

Well the checklist is all checked, I would like to get 4 more and have 12. Will that disrupt the hierarchy? How do I do the tea? Do I put the tea stuff in with the WC or do I actually make tea and add it to the WC.
Id leave it at the 8 in the 30 gal, they do get pretty large.

I put a huge pot on the stove of water, bring to a boil and toss in 5-6 bags of tea and let it steep for the entire afternoon until I do water changes in the evening. It'll be cooled down at that point. I pour in the tea water as I refill the tank.

How many tea bags you use depends how dark you want your water. I use 5-6 for a 46 gallon to get a deep amber colour.

Don't feed too much bloodworms...maybe just once a week as a treat. I mostly feed my black skirts New Life Spectrum flakes but occasionally feed frozen brine shrimp which they love. Bug bites would be ok seeing they're small.

Don't feed too much bloodworms...maybe just once a week as a treat. I mostly feed my black skirts New Life Spectrum flakes but occasionally feed frozen brine shrimp which they love. Bug bites would be ok seeing they're small.
Its bug bites flakes. I'll see if they have new life spectrum at the store.

finish up the bug bites first....then maybe get NLS or Omega one flakes..both are very good

How do you guys get frozen stuff like that. I hear it recommended all the time but I have no clue where to get it. Do you have a separate tank or does your LFS carry it?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back